File Colors and Icons (from Opus 9 -> 10)

A couple of small items after my recent upgrade which I can't fix (I'm still at a 'newbie' stage):

1- My file-type groups, which I previously assigned a certain color, are reset. How do I fix that in 10?

2- In the tree, I have certain folders with both a custom icon and a set color. Now the icon is the same color as the folder name. Is there a way to change that back?

Thanks!

You want to look at Preferences / Favorites and Recent / File and Folder Labels for both.

For #1, Create wildcard label to color the file extensions you want, e.g. *.jpg or *.(jpg|gif|png) and so on.

For #2, Edit the labels and clear their icon colors.

Hi Leo,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I've changed #2.

For #1, does that mean I have to now assign a color to an individual extension, as opposed to a group? Not complaining... just trying to understand. I'm sure that I previously assigned the color to a "file type group". I should have taken notes when I did it the first time, I know.

You can assign labels to file-type Groups using the special grp:... wildcard syntax.

e.g. Type grp:Images as the wildcard to make a group that matches everything in the Images file-type group.

[quote="leo"]You can assign labels to file-type Groups using the special grp:... wildcard syntax.

e.g. Type grp:Images as the wildcard to make a group that matches everything in the Images file-type group.[/quote]

This post helped me learn about this feature. When reviewing the documentation, it took me a while to hone in on where the grp definitions were defined.

The documentation uses the terms: "File Types" and "Filetypes" interchangeably, which feels a little confusing. In the post here, you use "file-type". At first I tried searching Preferences, and had to use all the different terms. Obviously, nothing turns up there, so it was off to explore menus.

I often write "file-type groups" to differentiate from "file type-groups". I probably write "filetype groups" sometimes as well. Same with filename and file name. (I didn't write the manual though so I can't say much about that.)

FWIW, the search field in Preferences is clever enough to know that "sub menu" and "sub-menu" are the same thing, although it wouldn't find "submenu" so it's not perfect. (But, as you found, there's nothing about file(| |-)types in Preferences anyway.)

Here's the relevant manual page for anyone who is looking for it:

gpsoft.com.au/help/opus10/Docume ... Syntax.htm

I find myself doing the same with path name/pathname, full path/fullpath, file name/filename. One day, I'll learn to love my ambivalence.

Thanks. I'm good to go now.