File Copy over Network is much slower than Explorer - Win7

Nirsoft: Processmon, FileMon and Diskmon could help analyze deeper, if you know how to use them and want to spend the time required. By comparing Explorer and Dopus differences (i.e. eliminating common denominators via filters), you can start pinpointing how each differ in there execution. I’ve had my entire network fine tuned on every workstation, server and router to maximize bandwidth via viber-optic 2gig workstation and 10gig server cards, for uncompressed, quad-band/layered, real-time HD video editing, via up to 4 paralleled HD workstations. What I’ve discovered in the process, is the faster your equipments bandwidth potential is, the more finely tuned and compatible all components need to be, throughout. Most hardware, software and drivers weren’t designed with super high bandwidth, quad NIC cards in mind. Implementing these newer types of specialized components quickly starts revealing all kinds of bottlenecks and shortcomings throughout the entire network chain. Just because you buy a high bandwidth network card, doesn’t guarantee, today, that your system setup will be able to utilize it efficiently. You may get lucky or not. Some of my workstations performed near full potential, where as others, with almost identical components, did very poorly without modifications and tweaking. Be prepared, the closer you want to get to consistently achieving maximum bandwidth potential, the more time you will spend to achieve it. Another point, the cheaper high-bandwidth cards are more of a hit or miss to their compatibility with your system. Their drivers tend to be minimally written to adjust and conform to the wider spectrum of system architectures (i.e. get what paid for, lol). As I found out, owning this type of technology is a real curveball to your initial expectations, but well worth it in the long.

I have to agree with the other posters, file transfers are much slower than Opus v9.x. In fact I've un-installed v10 and gone back to v9.x because of a number of problems that appear to be attributable to v10.

When v10 is transferring a lot of files over the network, the rest of Opus's UI is very unresponsive for one thing. Another, I've just tried using the latest v10 beta 10.0.1.4 i think it was, had to uninstall this because of peculiar mouse click behaviour that wasn't occurring before installation.

I don't think anybody has mentioned Opus 9 until now in the thread. People are talking about Explorer vs Opus, as far as I can tell.

That's also strange since the way Opus copies files didn't change between Opus 9 and Opus 10. A lot of other things have changed, but not that.

Maybe one of those 9->10 changes has triggered a problem on your setup. (e.g. Some graphics/motherboard drivers are really sensitive to the way progress dialogs are updated, in my experience. It can be quite random things like that. Or it can be more obvious things like antivirus or firewall software that works using signatures and sees two versions of Opus (or whatever) as different, and treats them differently.)

If that is due to high CPU usage, Process Explorer may be able to indicate what is using the CPU.

• Run Process Explorer as admin.
  • Find the process using lots of CPU (it may be dopus.exe or it could be "System" if the problem is happening within the network filesystem driver; it could also be a firewall/anti-virus/etc. process).
  • Open that process's properties, then go to the Threads tab.
  • Sort the threads by CPU. There's probably one thread responsible for almost all of it. Select that thread.
  • Click the Stack button and see which components are listed. The non-Windows ones nearest the top are usually responsible, and if they are not Opus components then you may have your culprit.

(See W0lfdale's suggestion in an old thread for an alternative description of what to do, with screenshot. That's linked from the general troubleshooting FAQ which may have other things worth trying.)

Have you reported that problem anywhere? It can't be explained/fixed unless it's reported, and it doesn't sound related to this thread.

Thanks for the reply Leo. I'll set up a few experiments and see if I can figure out why there's a difference. Apologies for posting about the mouse behaviour in the wrong thread. Before I report the 'bug' about mouse behaviour I need to check to make sure nothing else caused it first. But having un-installed v10, my mouse is now behaving itself again.

Just want to share my latest experiences with file copies over networks:
I found out that one single feature of my NIC is affecting the stability of file transfers:
RSS Receive Side Scaling
If this option is set to OFF - I have no problems with losing the connection anymore!

Furthermore: A few days ago Microsoft released a security update for networking and since then I have file transfers near 100 MB/s via Dopus.

Maybe that infos help someone else.