File desciption problems

Hi there!

My Problem: Add a large description to a file.

With descript.ion = Max. length is 260 bytes as i found out - too little, but shows in description column

With file property comment = Length is ok, but not all file types supports comments in her property pages, but when, it shows in the comments column.

What about storing comments as ADS for NTFS? Let's say as FILM.AVI:DESCRIPT.ION

Pro
-Unlimited length
-Each file type is supported

Con
-Only NTFS supports ADS

With the cons i can live.

Next problem:
If a file contains large descriptive text that should be displayed in the info tip, not all text is displayed because of limited info tip size.

What about adding vertical scroll bars to the info tip when text size exceeds n bytes?

That would be very nice.

Maybe there is another way to solve my problems in DO? Maybe a third party solution? I've already tried HobComment mentioned here in another post, but comment length is too little.

You could create a button using this buttoncode:

"notepad.exe" "{file$|noext}.txt"  
  • Select a file and click the new button.
  • The button creates a text file with the same name as the selected file.
  • You can now type in your (large) description.

[quote="Christiaan"]You could create a button using this buttoncode:

"notepad.exe" "{file$|noext}.txt"  
  • Select a file and click the new button.
  • The button creates a text file with the same name as the selected file.
  • You can now type in your (large) description.[/quote]

Hi Christiaan,

erm, this is more a work around than a real solution, nevertheless thanks for your reply, whereas your code is interesting. I think, the ADS solution would be great.

I agree. When files are copied/moved the ADS is always copied/moved together with the files regardless of which program performs the copy/move action.

It also would add a very useful security feature to DO if it could display a column to show if files/folders have any ADS attached.

Are you sure about that? Programs have to explicitly look for and copy the ADS, unless they copy the files via a high-level file-copy API which itself looks for and copies the ADS.

ADS are probably less likely to be lost in a copy/move by other apps than descript.ion data, but it's still possible to lose them.

[quote="leo"]
ADS are probably less likely to be lost in a copy/move by other apps than descript.ion data, but it's still possible to lose them.[/quote]

Like recording on a CD or copying to a network drive.