File List Automatic Update

Hello,

When saving a file as to a network directory the file list is not automatically updated to show the new file; I have to manually refresh using F5. I assume that this is not intended behaviour? The file listing is automatically updated in Explorer. Auto-loading for network files is enabled i.e. is not checked.

Regards,

Rob

Please see Changes to folders are not always detected for suggestions.

Hello,

All suggestions were already active; I'm still experiencing the issue. It only appears to occur if I Save a file as using a new name. I'm attaching log generated using Dbgview. Also attached are to screen shots; one taken after saving two files:

\pefs2\PEProjects\PE701-00037 Frieda\Technical\Hydropower\Power Generation\701-37 2014-10-07 1994-1999 Hydropower Test 2.xlsm
\pefs2\PEProjects\PE701-00037 Frieda\Technical\Hydropower\Power Generation\701-37 2014-10-07 1994-1999 Hydropower Test 1.xlsm

The files are not displayed. Following F5 the files are shown (second Screen Shot).

The error is occurring on a mapped network drive.

Regards,

Rob
Attachments.zip (115 KB)

Thank you!

Is the network drive using Offline Files, Client-Side Caching, DFS, or anything unsual like that?

I think I can see the problem from the log, but would like to confirm the setup so we can try to recreate the same thing locally.

Hello,

Yes, offline files are enabled for this directory.

Regards,

Rob

Hi Leo,

Just wondering if this issue will be addressed in a future Directory Opus version? It appears to have been stagnant since being reported.

Rob

[quote="leo"]Thank you!

Is the network drive using Offline Files, Client-Side Caching, DFS, or anything unsual like that?

I think I can see the problem from the log, but would like to confirm the setup so we can try to recreate the same thing locally.[/quote]

I've been looking into this, but haven't been able to reproduce the problem.

Here's what I did:

[ul][li]Created a shared folder on one machine (Win7 FWIW), with it set to make all files available offline.[/li]
[li]Mapped a drive to that share from another machine (Win8.1), then selected the Always Available Offline option so it synched.[/li]
[li]I then checked that Opus could see changes made to the folder:
[ul][li]Both when viewing it via the drive letter and the UNC path.[/li]
[li]Whether the thing changing the folder was using the drive letter or the UNC path.[/li]
[li]When connected to the network and not.[/li]
[li]Also changing files on the server side (only when connected to the network, of course).[/li][/ul][/li][/ul]

All changes were detected fine, so I've so far been unable to re-create the problem.

The debug information indicates that the problem may be outside of Opus. When I did the tests, I saw changes attributed to C:\Windows\CSC\v2.0.6\namespace... as is also the case with your logs. (That folder is where Windows stores the offline files cache, and the real files that are being modified if the network shares are in offline mode.) But in addition to that, I see changes attributed to the mapped drive letter and/or the UNC path. (Either or both, depending on which Opus was showing and monitoring.) Those change events must be generated/simulated by Windows, so that programs monitoring a folder do not have to do anything special for this scenario, but it seems on your system that either the events aren't being generated or Opus isn't actually monitoring the network folders.

If the events aren't being generated, I'd expect similar issues to be seen in Explorer and other programs for the same folders.

If Opus isn't monitoring the folders properly, it would usually be because it the configuration options mentioned in the FAQ. (Preferences / File Operations / Options / Detect external file changes on network drives is the main one, and needs to be turned on.)

(It is possible for Opus to ask Windows to monitor a folder, and then for that monitoring to break, but Opus should detect that and re-create it. If the automatic detection didn't work, it should still start working again if you fully exit Opus (via File / Exit Directory Opus) and then re-launch it.)

Maybe some of those things are worth checking on your end to see if they are relevant.

If you can give any other details about how to re-create your exact set-up, please let us know and we'll try to reproduce it that way. Details on the process which is modifying the files may also be relevant, since some tools or actions can create unusual change notifications.