File Pane NOT Refreshing Properly

I am using version 8.2.0.4 (ANSI) on Windows XP SP2.

The File Pane is not refreshing properly. Even when I move files, delete files, or rename files, I have to force a refresh using F5.

I did some experimenting and found the deciding factor to be names containing chinese characters.

I then did a search on the problem and found someone else had the same issue ever since April 2005. The link can be found here: [After delete a file, the file pane doesn't refresh automatic)

Is there a fix for this yet or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

[quote="Jay88"]I am using version 8.2.0.4 (ANSI) on Windows XP SP2.

The File Pane is not refreshing properly. Even when I move files, delete files, or rename files, I have to force a refresh using F5.

I did some experimenting and found the deciding factor to be names containing chinese characters.
[/quote]

Dis you try to use the Unicode version, rather than the ANSI one ? ANSI version can't manage chinese (and other non european) characters correctly.

I did try the Unicode version first but with poor results. It consistently crashed on me, the whole Opus would crash, not just the Lister. The crashing seemed more frequent when I was managing files with Chinese character names. I was about to give up on Opus altogether but decided to give the ANSI a try.

With the ANSI version I have no crashes whatsoever and everything is just fine... apart from the Refreshing issue mentioned. Opus displays and handles the Chinese characters without a problem.

I am running English windows but have XP setup so that the default Unicode language is Chinese (I need to do it this way so my Chinese programs display properly).

Any other ideas?

Thanks

Have you tried the FAQ on finding the cause of crashes, along with the Unicode version? It could be an Opus plugin or Explorer shell extension that cannot handle Unicode files properly.

I re-installed the Unicode version. I turned off all plugins. I am still getting crashes and nothing that is referenced in the FAQ matched.

I have determined the crashes might be related to reading in the Attribute column for chinese files. I am having a little trouble getting a handle on keeping settings in Opus.... I don't want to see the Attribute column for any view. How can I turn it off and keep it off? I have the same issue when I change the size view from auto to KB.

thanks for your help.

Does the crash happen when you read a particular file or directory? If so then the FAQs on tracking down crashes should be relevant. (If it's not a plugin or shell extension causing the crash it's still very useful if it can be tracked down to a particular file/directory so GPSoft can attempt to reproduce it.) If not, when does the crash happen?

To configure the columns how you want them see the FAQ on configuring folder formats. (It's probably some other formats you didn't know where having an effect. The FAQ should explain all but shout if you still have problems.)

The crashes are not happening with a certain file or files. Sometimes it crashes and sometimes not in certain directories.

I will try to shut off the Atrib column for all views and see if that does it.

Thanks.

Thanks for the FAQ. It helped me setup my views properly and keep them that way...including getting rid of the Attrib column. After removing the Atrib column my crashes seem to have disappeared so good news there.

Now my problem lies with WinRAR. I cannot extract chinese files correctly. I open the RAR file, try to extract it...It decompresses just fine but when it gets to the writing portion I get the following error "an error occurred copying "XYZ". The system cannot find the specified file."

I have read the threads about WinRAR plugin problems so I guess I will have to wait for an update to Opus?

Any ideas on how to handle this now?

One last question. I have the columns set to autosize, but when there are files with very long names it pushes the text and/or other columns off the screen. Is there any way to autosize but to still make sure it fits on one screen, thus sacrificing the filename display width in order to still be able to display the other columns?

Thanks again.

It's very odd that the Attributes column seems to be causing your crash. Can you make Opus crash instantly by turning it back on?

Yes, the Opus RAR plugin doesn't support Unicode so it will be confused by non-ANSI characters. I'm not sure what's going on with this (you could write to GPSoftware via their support page to get a definite answer); for now I'd use a separate unrar tool, although I'm not sure which ones support Unicode.

At the moment columns can either be fixed size or autosized. There isn't an option to "fit to page", but you file a feature request to GPSoft and see if they think it's a good idea.

Nudel,

Thanks for all your help with this. I will keep playing with Opus more now that it's not crashing all the time.

Thanks again.

No problem! Let us know in a few days if you still haven't seen the crash again and it definitely looks related to the attributes column. If that's the case I'll try and reproduce it myself and see if I can work out some steps to send to GPSoftware so they can reproduce it and fix it.