File sorting in folder

My files are sorted by those that have a number in the first letter (0-9), then alphabetically (a-h), (i-p), etc. This makes it impossible to easily find files by date, since I have to look in each of these subgroups. How do I show all files in a folder without this (to me) cumbersome display?

Assuming that you still want to sort by filename, not file date, and just want to sort the names differently:

Please go to Folder Options, Display and turn off Numeric order filename sorting, assuming it is on.

You may also want to turn off Word sort if you want strict alphanumeric sorting.

See the Folder Formats: Quick Guide if you need instructions on how to save the change for all folders.

I solved the problem, but not by doing what you suggest, as my settings were the same that you proposed as the fix. Instead I finally found a item called "group by" in the folder setting that specifies the folder display (thumbnail, list, details, etc.). This was set to group by filename. I selected "none" and my problem was fixed. thanks for your help.

Ah, I misunderstood what was happening; sorry for that. Glad you got it back to normal!