File Type Groups Movies Inconsistent

I use tool tips to show useful information for a variety of media files. I am noticing inconsistencies with DIVX video files. The DIVX file extension may be replaced with AVI. It is the same container, but DIVX files exclusively use the DIVX codec.

Here is my File Groups settings:

This works as expected for AVI movies:

dopus_avi_info_tip

It even works correctly for MP4 movies:

dopus_mp4_info_tip

It does not work as expected for DIVX movies. DIVX is AVI, so I am not understanding why I do not see an image:

dopus_divx_info_tip

Do you get thumbnails for those files (with divx extensions) in File Explorer?

I do not see thumbnails for any movie files with Windows Explorer. It shows the associated icon for the movie file. This is Windows 10 1909. Also, this is version 12.24 of Directory Opus.

Not even for the ones that are working in Opus?

That's strange, but points to a problem with the video codecs/splitters.

HOW TO: Enable/fix playback of various media formats in Opus has some advice.

(Edit: Just to clarify, I mean when viewing the folder in something like Extra Large Icons mode in File Explorer, not the infotips there.)

When I set WIndows Explorer to Extra Large as you suggested, I see initial frames for all files except for DIVX.

That probably means the relevant codec/splitter/thumbnailer is working but hasn't been registered for the divx extension. (Or it's hardcoded to ignore the extension, but that's less likely.)

If you're using a codec pack then they sometimes have configuration for which formats they apply to.

Fixing the issue in File Explorer should fix it in Opus as well. Google has lots of suggestions under "no thumbnails for divx files" but I don't know which will apply to your machine, as it can depend what's been installed.

This is the DIVX Pro codec directly from DIVX, so I will simply complain to them for a fix.

I identified the issue and found a fix. It's not a codec issue at all. It's something strange with Windows 10 and/or dopus. The initial frame gets lost if and only if the dixv file type is associated with the DivX player. When it is not associated with this player, the initial frame shows without issue. I am not sure who owns this bug.

Since it affects File Explorer as well, it's unlikely to be Opus. It sounds like it's down to the DivX Player's thumbnailer component, especially if it only happens when DivX Player is given the file type (which likely means its thumbnailer is also configured to handle the type).

It may also mean that DivX Player doesn't set up a thumbnailer at all when it takes over the type in the registry.

It happens also when I set Windows Media Player as the default for open with. It's not a DivX bug.

I'm confused in that case, since you just said this:

Regardless, if you see the same issue in File Explorer then it means there's no working thumbnailer assigned to the divx extension on your system.

I just created a new divx movie from a Blu-ray. I added metadata to the movie, and after doing this Directory Opus showed the initial frame. There was no open with association with the new file I created, but the initial frame was clearly visible in Directory Opus. I double clicked the newly created file, and I was prompted by Windows that no association exists. Once I set an association, the initial frame then went away from that point forward. This is exactly what happened just minutes ago.

If you still see the same in File Explorer then you're asking about it in the wrong place. Opus isn't really involved in this at all.

Opus is just asking Windows for the thumbnail, and Windows in turn is asking the installed and registered thumbnailer (if any) for that file extension.

File Explorer does the same thing. If you don't see a thumbnail in both programs then the thumbnailer isn't working (or isn't registered properly). The DivX thumbnailer is not part of Opus.

This was why I mentioned that I am not sure who owns this bug. Here it is that I just reproduced:

divx_tooltip_showing_initial_image

It's not us. Talk to the developers of the thumbnailer. We can't do anything here.

Get it working in File Explorer first. If it then works in File Explorer but not in Opus, we might be able to help, but if it isn't working anywhere then we are the wrong people to ask.