Filmstrip Video preview - brings up Windows Media Player

Opus 12.7 Filmstrip
when selecting a video, Windows Media Player is launched in the background. It is covered by other window panels,I can't bring it up to the foreground, unless I close all the other windows.
When resizing the video preview panel, WMP will also resize.

1. How to have the video displayed within Opus? (I believe this was the case before?)

or IF an external player is going to be used, then
2. How to configure the external player so it will not use WMP but another player?

Thanks.!

Microsoft broke the Windows Media Player preview handler in a Windows 10 update:

Opus does not use that handler by default, but will if you have turned it on. Our advice for now is to turn it off again (via the ActiveX viewer plugin, under the Preview Handlers section when you configure it) until when/if Microsoft fix it.

Sorry the delay.
Many thanks for your reply.

With Windows 10 update, you probably mean 1709?
I am still on 1703 (can't update to 1709: same BSOD after each of the (I believe 6-7) tries)

Am a bit confused: Opus could play the video within Opus in the panel on the right hand.

According to the Microsoft Answers forum thread, linked in one of my posts in the other thread, Microsoft broke the Windows Media Player preview handler some months ago, in the first Creators Update, build 1703.

It remains broken in the Fall Creators Update, build 1709.

Opus still can play video, as long as you don't use the Windows Media Player preview handler.

Opus does not use the Windows Media Player preview handler by default, so you must have turned it on at some point (probably because you wanted a viewer which uses click-to-play instead of auto-play).

Turn the Windows Media Player preview handler off again (via the ActiveX viewer plugin's preferences) and things should work better, at least until Microsoft fix their component.

It is even more broken in File Explorer (which does use the Windows Media Player preview handler b default, unlike Opus), since there you do not get any viewer at all now, just a blank rectangle. In Opus (and Outlook) the preview handler opens but in a separate window for some reason, while in Explorer it fails to open at all. But that shows the problem isn't on the Opus side as it isn't working in two of Microsoft own programs anymore either. Luckily, there are alternatives you can use in Opus.

Thanks again, it is solved now, things work like before.
Am unaware that I activated WMP somewhere at some point in time, but I am sure you are right.

The Windows Media Player preview handler appears to work again after the Windows 10 update to build 1803.

At least in Opus. It still doesn't seem to work in Explorer, for some reason.