Filter by file extension

I wish to filter on file extensions. I wish to find all files which end in *.lrcat . These are Lightroom catalog files. Unfortunately it also returns .lrcat-wal files. I specifically wish to exclude any files that do not match the *.lrcat exactly.

xxx.lrcat = good.
xxx.lrcat-wal = bad.
xxx.lrcat_pqr = bad.

Entering *.lrcat as Quick Filter doesn't work?

I found the solution with the find files / simple tab / file type.

This works..... but I sense I am missing something simpler....

Where can I find "Quick Find".... a search or use of index also failed to find a reference to this in help. I am obviously missing something.

Ps. I have been an ad-hoc user of Opus for a while, a big fan of Beyond Compare, TreeSize and various other utilities..... but recently I can see a lot more power under the hood of Opus. Thanks. (also thanks for quick response.

Use the * (i.e. Shift + 8) key or Folder > Filter by Name from the menus.

More detail here: https://www.gpsoft.com.au/help/opus12/index.html#!Documents/Filter_Bar1.htm

This is the missing link..... " The filter bar appears as soon as you press the activation key (***** ) and you can continue typing immediately to begin filtering the list."

It is a really clever feature...... will use in future..... Ideal for many practical situations...but not suitable for what I was trying to do...(which involves a search of all drives on my workstation)... resulting in a long delay while it assembled the list of all filetypes across all my drives.

The good thing is I now know the feature is there and will definitely use it.

For my specific problem I was trying to solve, I created a 'preset find' using the advanced find and used the sub search for the filetype. This works a dream for me.

I learned a lot from this little interaction ... and impressed also by the response.

You can mark this query 'solved' and a top grade of 10/10.

Thanks.

The same wildcard will work in the Find panel as well. Make sure partial matching is turned off, of course.

The * trick caused Opus to hang, when searching the full PC. Not sure how long it was running before hanging.

It is a Ryzen 3900x system with 64 GB of fast memory, 2 very fast M2 PCIA 4 drives, but main image store is a Thunderbolt 3 external drive. There is 105,000 images on the TB3 drive, but suspect Opus hung analysing the system drive.

The * trick is perfect for filtering a directory with a lot of files, but probably a few file types.

I will use a preset find on the rare situation I need to look across all drives, incl the system drive. I keep all my data on the D drive, so it is easy to back up and keeps the C drive only for o/s and apps. Images are on the TB3. Unfortunately some apps push important data into the user folders, plus I had backups from upgrading from an earlier version. Opus allowed me see the full picture in a few clicks. Magic.

I see Opus is a seriously useful tool.

What do you mean by "hung" exactly?

Which columns are visible in the find results list? Or was it in thumbnails mode?

If you do a similar search using File Explorer, do you see any issues there?

One possibility is "privacy" software like Defender is breaking things when documents are inspected: Problems caused by Windows Defender (strange behavior when using Opus)

I will leave it until / if it happens again.