Find files based on text file (filelist)

Hi!

I have a directory with lots of files. I also have a filelist in xls (read txt) with filenames i need to extract from there.
Is there any way to find these files using list? My goal is to rename them based on XLS file (Column A is current filename; column B is new name), but let's start with finding these files.

Any ideas that may help me?

The non-DO way of doing this:
Convert your xls into a regular text file, make sure your filenames are enclosed in quotes in each column, if they contain blanks.
Remove possible ";" characters between the columns (depends on how you converted the xls to txt, copy and paste would be the easiest I think).

Then add "rename" to the beginning of each line in your text file, save that to *.bat, all lines should look like this:

rename "<filename-before>" "<filename-after>"

Open a command prompt, change to the directory where your files are located and run the batch.
An editor like Editplus or Notepad++ maybe required to edit the file to the required syntax (at least it's at a lot faster with column-based selection, makros and regex-replace at hand).

Finding/selecting files from a text-file or clipboard currently is not possible, if I'm right. Can be done by script of course, but nobody did it yet.
Renaming selected files with names from clipboard is possible with "RenameFromClipboard", a script addin you'll find in the scripts/add ins-section, but that is probably useless, as long as you cannot find/select your files automatically.

You can use this to "Select file from txt".

Another non-DO way, use this vba script...
Rename files.zip (13 KB)

[quote="tbone"]The non-DO way of doing this:
Convert your xls into a regular text file, make sure your filenames are enclosed in quotes in each column, if they contain blanks.
Remove possible ";" characters between the columns (depends on how you converted the xls to txt, copy and paste would be the easiest I think).

Then add "rename" to the beginning of each line in your text file, save that to *.bat, all lines should look like this:

rename "<filename-before>" "<filename-after>"

Open a command prompt, change to the directory where your files are located and run the batch.
An editor like Editplus or Notepad++ maybe required to edit the file to the required syntax (at least it's at a lot faster with column-based selection, makros and regex-replace at hand).

Finding/selecting files from a text-file or clipboard currently is not possible, if I'm right. Can be done by script of course, but nobody did it yet.
Renaming selected files with names from clipboard is possible with "RenameFromClipboard", a script addin you'll find in the scripts/add ins-section, but that is probably useless, as long as you cannot find/select your files automatically.[/quote]

Dear tbone, it worked great for me! Thank you very much!

AlbatorV, i will note your post and will add your button to my DOpus and try it too. I'm sure it will come handy!

You can use this to "Select file from txt".

Another non-DO way, use this vba script...[/quote]

Yours and leo solution worked like a charm too! Thanks a lot, guys!