Find Files

I thought you were going to say that. :smiley:

The reality, after about an hour of testing different configurations is somewhat different. Here's what I have found -

First, I did not need a folder called Find Results in my tab group. By selecting the Find Panel's 'Show results in: Find Results', and 'source (new tab)', I can have Opus create that tab for me. I have removed it from the tab group.

I then set up a two tab group with only C:\ and C:\Users\Bernard\Downloads, in that order, with C:\ as the active tab. While the layout opens correctly with the C:\ folder displayed, the Find Panel's Find in box still shows C:\Users\Bernard\Downloads. Repeated saves of the layout, after changing the panel setting to C:\ would occasionally reward me with a single instance where it seemed to work correctly, but a second invocation would revert to C:\Users\Bernard\Downloads.

For a while, I worked with only a single tab, C:, and as you would expect, that was reliable, but as C:\Users\Bernard\Downloads is my general-purpose working directory, I did want to have it available on this layout. I have now set up a tab group with C:\Users\Bernard\Downloads and C:\ in that order, with C:\ still as the active tab. That is proving reliable. The C:\ folder is displayed correctly, and the Find in box is consistently showing C:\ also. The result is that I can now initiate the majority of my searches without needing to change the folder to be searched. I only change it when I know my target folder in advance.

I have to say, while I do like the Find Panel in general, I was always uncomfortable with the cramped effect it had on my default layout, where I spend 90+% of my time. I am grateful to you and the other contributors to this thread for steering me towards setting up this Find layout. I have my Find button set to open this layout automatically, and it is a great way of invoking the Find Panel.

Thanks.

From quick testing with layouts that combine multiple folder tabs and the find panel, the panel always seems to open with the first tab's path. I guess that's a bug/oversight, so I've added it to the to-do list.

If the only reason for using the layout is you want the window to be bigger when using the Find panel, you could instead use buttons which set the window size while turning the panel on or off.

[quote="leo"]From quick testing with layouts that combine multiple folder tabs and the find panel, the panel always seems to open with the first tab's path. I guess that's a bug/oversight, so I've added it to the to-do list.

If the only reason for using the layout is you want the window to be bigger when using the Find panel, you could instead use buttons which set the window size while turning the panel on or off.[/quote]Hello Leo...

I'm very happy with the new Find layout. It works well, and some folk who regret the passing of the old Find command could probably benefit from a similar approach.

However, my experience is quite the opposite of what you say here.

Here is a screenshot of my Find Layout:

You will see that I have two tabs, Downloads and C:. The C:\ tab is set as active, and I initially set it on the left, but found that doing so, led to the panel's 'Find in' setting defaulting to the Downloads folder, while I wanted it to default to the C:\ folder. As you can see, I now have it on the right, and being active, it is selected, and displayed in the file pane, and also is the default entry in the panel's 'Find in' box.

It took quite a few experiments before I reached this apparently simple solution, but the end result is exactly what I am looking for. Logically, I expected the left-most position for C:\ should have worked this way, but not so.

Maybe it's different for locked tabs. I've added it to the to-do list to look at, anyway.

Ta.

[quote="DCBeast"]Wow Leo; in the time it took me to figure it out, post a button, and come back here to link to it, you've posted a response!

[url]"Floating find" window button]

However, my command is: Go NEW=findpanel LAYOUT=Find {s}

Since I'm new to the command usage game (never had a real need to dive into it before) and they both seem to acheive the same this, what is the difference?[/quote]

Thanks to the useful key, but still a very important problem is not solved.

In DOpus 9.0 very excellent find feature, you can open some find windows in different paths. For example if you open a find window in c:\ path and another find window in d:\ path, the find results for each path are kept separately without any conflict with another find window search results.

In DOpus 10 new find feature that I hate it, the search results are collected in Collections by default, so if you open two different find window for two different path with above key, when you use the first find window for found a file in first path, the results of the second find window will be changed too. I know, we can define a new Collection name for each find window manually to solve this bad problem, but it is not a good idea at all.

My question: Is there any way that you can define a new Collection name for each window automatically every time you click on above key?

Opus 10's find is not new. Opus 9 had the same abilities. Half the reason the legacy find mode was removed was that people never even discovered the newer one.

If you want to do two separate finds and see their results at once you have to use two different collections.

You don't have to type a new collection name each time; just choose a different one from the drop-down, which lists all existing collections. (You'll only need to type a new name the first time.)

Feel free to file a support request through the GP Software website (using your registration code) complaining about any changes you don't like.

Thanks to reply.
Well, the best idea was replacing the old and new find place with each other, not deleting old feature completely.

[quote="leo"]If you want to do two separate finds and see their results at once you have to use two different collections.

You don't have to type a new collection name each time; just choose a different one from the drop-down, which lists all existing collections. (You'll only need to type a new name the first time.)[/quote]

The main problem is exactly the same: manually choosing.

Hi,

I am also having a problem with the find feature. I use multiple finds sometimes and one find is clearing out the other find even if the find is in 2 completely separate Windows. One idea is for DOpus to automatically create Find Results based on how many active finds there are...

Find Results 1
Find Results 2

I really do not want to have to manually select the location of the find results... not being difficult here... just saying that it is an extra step that should not be needed. If I could have the results in a new window as an option (like in version 9), then that would be good!

I will file this with the support page you mention with my code.

Thanks!

Steve

These autom. created result-collections are part of the latest beta release 10.0.0.5,
if I looked correctly. I think this is a wise decission, as i was confused with find results
messing up each other too. Manually creating new collections before every "multi-seach"
i would have found a bit odd, too.

So thank you!.. o)

Yes, that problem is solved, but a new problem is appeared. Now, the find interface went crazy! If you click on vertical or horizontal scroll bar with mouse, the place of find interface is changed automatically, even if you didn't change scroll bar at all!(the attached anim)

Well, that's perhaps why this is a beta version, still.. o))

Thanks, it's fixed for the next version.

Thanks.

Dear friends,
When I hided a toolbar in the new find window at DOpus_v10.0.1.0, the toolbar was hided in main window too. Is there any way that I can hide a toolbar just in the new find window?

No, not currently.

Thanks to answer.

Greetings,
How can I apply a specific File Name column's width just on the new find window that I opened with Go CURRENT LAYOUT="Find Layout".

More description:
The width of File Names column in my main lister is 'x', but I want to the width of it in my new find window be 'y'. During creating my needed "Find Layout", I changed the width of the File Names column, but it is not saved in the layout. I saved the width by Save format -> Save the current folder format, but the width of my File Name column in the main lister was changed too. I searched to found an option to change the width in "Find Layout", but nothing was found. I created a new Style with my needed File Names column's width, but when I use the Prefs command to apply it, the new style was applied to the main lister, not "Find Layout" lister. Can you help me to solve this problem, please?

Thanks beforehand.

Open your layout, resize the column to what you want, then turn on the format lock (usually on the status bar) and re-save the layout. It should then use that format, including the width.

(You may also need to turn off Auto-Size Columns in Folder Options -> Display, before re-saving the layout.)