Floating toolbar different theme

Hi there.

Is it possible to completely change toolbars colors, backgrounds, fonts etc. WITHOUT changing it for the normal windows of DOpus? I'd like to have a dark-theme for my toolbars, but NOT for the standard windows of DOpus.

Possible?
Thanks,
cheers,
Bastian

You can override the text and background colors for individual toolbars, and floating toolbars also have some other options (e.g. Taskbar looks like the Windows taskbar).

Hi Leo,

what I meant was this:

I have a "dark mode" toolbar on the top of my screen, where I access almost everything. I don't want it to be too prominent, thus the dark-mode (doesn't really bother me when watching videos either).

Now what I want is to have the menu coming out of the main buttons being the version on the right, not the one I get currently (the one on the left) while at the same time keep my windows displaying like shown below.

That somehow possible?

Toolbars have an option to make menus inherit their backgrounds. The menu item icons are down to the icons you select and not any dark/light/color settings. The text labels can be set per item if needed (not sure if they'll use the toolbar's text color or not if it's set to use the background in menus, but you can override it in any case).

Hi Leo,

then I'm doing smth wrong.
I have the option "Customize", there I can select "Color" or "Image" as background, but there's no option to change the dropdown menues. Looked into the settings as well, can't find anything there either.

Where do I have to look for that?
Thanks for your help!
Cheers

It is just under the image option.

2022-07-08 17-47-14 Clipboard Image

Tried that, but all that's changing is the background color to white. All "pictures" look the same (white background) and the submenues don't change color. Not even sure what these "pictures" are or where to change them ... (in the picture I use "Image --> Standard Toolbar Image" and "Appearance --> Frame")

What do you mean by "pictures"? The icons? They may have a baked-in background color.

But you also aren't defining any color for the background, at least not in your screenshot. I can't see what your Standard Toolbar Image is set to, but that'd normally be the same thing you see in file display toolbars, which doesn't seem right if your aim is to make this floating toolbar use something different.

In the "Customization" popup (window left), there's only some predefined pictures available, I can't change them or use a custom one. I guess it's the backgrounds of typical toolbars (grey etc.) - that's exactly the problem. I don't know where to define a custom one or use colors etc.
The pictures I CAN setup don't change anything in the submenu, whatever one I choose.

See HOW TO: Understand and Configure Background Images -- but you don't need to use a background image here, you can just specify a color. It's the very first checkbox in the Background section, shown in your screenshots.

Hi Leo,
thanks, will read this thoroughly. But the color doesn't change anything within the submenues. Whatever I check in this customization dialog, the submenues will stay exactly the same, the standard background, as shown in my first screenshot on the left.

Looking more closely at the screenshot, it looks like you may have turned on the old Office-2003-style toolbars option. That overrides a lot of things, and (currently*) forces light colors for menus. Turn it off if you want some or all menus to be dark.

(*That'll change in the future but you'd probably still want it off if you want some menus to look one way and others another.)

1 Like

That was the culprit :slight_smile: Thanks a lot for your time, Leo! Appreciate it.
Only thing now not really fitting is the border, but I guess that's smth you can't change (yet), without changing it for the standard windows, too - right?

borderColor

There's an option to change the border but it would affect most other menus as well, yeah.

YUp, thought so - anyway, thanks a lot for your help!

1 Like