Folder expansion and the arrows on the left

More DOpus13 details.

I don't want the Folder Expansion arrows constantly displayed on the left. Many of my filenames are too long, and the arrows push some of them to the right, giving them ugly dots at the end.

But it's a very nice initiative, and I would like:

• A button, with one or more commands in it, that expands one or more selected folders.
  • Another button — or make the first a toggle — that turns the expansion off again, and also turns off all the arrows on the left again.

(Even better would be for the expansion to happen without any of the arrows displaying, but that seems impossible.)

I have been fiddling with 'Set EXPANDABLEFOLDERS=...' and 'Go EXPANDBRANCH=...', but I can't do it (and I wonder if they are working as they should). I have also ticked the first two boxes in Preferences —> File Displays —> Folder Expansion.

A nearly complete answer to my question:

• In Preferences —> File Displays —> Folder Expansion, tick the first two boxes (at least).
  • Use the built-in Alt+DownArrow and Alt+UpArrow to expand folders as desired.
  • Create a button with Set EXPANDABLEFOLDERS=off and hotkey Ctrl+Alt+UpArrow to put everything back as it was before.

I can't see any way for the expansion to happen without any of the arrows displaying.

I also can't make drag-and-drop expand folders unless I first make the arrows appear, either with Alt+UpArrow or Alt+DownArrow..

Here is a three button where the LMB expander a folder with expandable folder arrows hidden.
Expand Folders with Expandable Arrows Hidden.dcf (908 Bytes)

Here is a more complete solution.
Expanded Folders Options 3 Button Collapse to Parent with RMB.dcf (3.2 KB)
but it requires the installation of this excellent script by Errante.

Thanks, @jinsight. I had missed the earlier discussion of all this. My problem is now sorted, apart from the presence of the arrows that are there while I am expanding, but that is a minor issue.