Folder format Application Static or Dynamic

Consider I have a lister ListerL which I fire up and it has a tab TabT with displays a folder location called Parent
The Folder Format for Parent (hover over the padlock) is that which was saved with the lister or maybe the tabgroup. If I navigate away from Parent and then return to Parent the folder now inherits the format depending on what is configured in Settings > Prefs > Folders > Folder Formats.
This is a complex (and useful) set of features.
So far so good. The tab has a starting FF from the saved lister and then the FF is dynamically set according to where you navigate.

Consider now I fire up ListerL and I am in TabT
The FF is that saved with ListerL.
Now I turn on a favourite folder format call it TT with this command
set format "TT"
This applies a set of show filters "TT" to the folders and files both with Regex checked.
Then I navigate to a subfolder Child1
The FF applied, TT now seems to remain active.
No matter where I navigate to within TabT, the FF is statically set to TT.
The FF is no longer dynamically set as it was before.

Hope this makes sense the preview pane was not working for some reason :slight_smile:

Makes sense, but it's just a description of what happens, not a question.

Do you want to revert from the favorite format to something else? If so, to the tab group/layout format, or to the folder's format?

Indeed... no question
So there are arguably 2 modes of format selection..."dynamic" and "static"
By setting the FF to a favourite did I make the tab behave as if the padlock was shut/locked?
Is there a away to make it revert back to dynamic/unshut?
Thx..

Right-click the padlock and choose "Reset to Folder's Format". (Also available in the Folder > Folder Formats menu.)

It'll also reset automatically if you change to a different type of drive/folder or one that has a format saved for it explicitly. See Cached Formats and Temporary Formats in Folder Formats: Detailed Guide for a bit more detail.

1 Like