Folder Format Collections in Tab Groups

So I studied and followed all available folder format FAQ postings here to no avail. Is this issue really unsolvable?

We haven't had a chance to look in detail, sorry.

1 Like

Some more investigation on this topic: As already mentioned, explicitly setting the format of tabs works pretty well. Automatic determination of folder formats does not.

Whats more: I now noticed that none of the other non-collection tabs does not use the appropriate folder format, either.
That said, I've set up a folder format for c:\temp which is one of the locations of a tab in a tab group.
No matter how often I restart DO and re-loading the tab group, the folder format for c:\temp is not applied. The padlock tells me that the format comes from "Tab #3 in Tab Group <name of that group". I expected to read "Default Format + Format for path "c:\temp". I get this information when navigating to this folder manually. So basically this is working but not within tab groups.

I restored to version 12.14 of DO and hoped to see any difference, to now avail either. It seems to me that the automatic detection of format within a tab group is broken. Don't know exactly when it started to do so.

Hi Leo,

it's been a while since your and my last posting here in this thread. Any chance you or your colleagues could have a look at this issue?

Thank you,
Michael

I don't surrender right now.

I just did a fresh DO install, latest beta, in a VM and created a new tab group with a collection inside. Fortunately, I noticed the same behavior with this fresh install: when selecting the tab group: the default collection folder format gets not applied.

The padlock tooltip again tells me that the current folder format comes from the tab #1 from the newly created tab group...

We've been able to confirm this. It's not so much of a bug as a design flaw. Basically, Folder Formats settings are ignored completely when opening tab groups. It's nothing specific for collections - any path would have the same problem.

We'll change this in the next update so that Folder Formats are considered when opening tab groups.

2 Likes

I knew you would find this annoying issue some day :laughing: and yes, it happens with all folder formats as I've already mentioned above!

Thanks for your support!
Michael

Hi Jon,

I would super appreciate it if this change was implemented. I'm a new Opus user, and I'm using Tab Groups via Styles a lot in my set up, but I was really confused as to why the Folder Formats were constantly being overridden despite having set up specific Path Formats.

I am loving a lot about Directory Opus so far (still in the trial at the moment), but if Tab Groups were to get a setting where I could decide if it should follow established Folder Formats (or alternatively use custom formats for that Tab Group) it would be perfect.

Cheers for reading

This was changed in 12.19.6, over a year ago.

Hmm.. well now I'm even more confused.. maybe what I'm experiencing is a bug after all?

Here's what's happening for me:
I have a Style which loads in a specific tab group. Inside that tab group is a folder (e.g. "Birthday cakes"). I have already set this folder's format as a Path Format in the Preferences.. but when I load the Style (and the Birthday cakes tab along with it) the padlock hover says the "Birthday cakes" folder's format comes from the "Tab Group". I've also tried going into the Tab Groups preferences to manually uncheck any formatting that might be overriding the Birthday cakes tab, but no change.

If I go out of the Birthday cakes folder (e.g. to its parent) and go back into it manually, it will load the correct format (and says the format now comes from the "Path format", which is what I want).

I don't understand why the Style would be loading the Tab Group with its own formats. Am I missing something? Also, while testing this out some more it now says the folder's format comes from a newly created hidden "#styletabs.TabGroup" Tab Group :face_with_raised_eyebrow:?

That will happen if you save a new style with multiple tabs. It creates a tab group for the style, and flags the group as hidden so it doesn't clutter up your tab group lists.

If you go to Preferences / Folder Tabs / Tab Groups, you can view and edit hidden groups there. Maybe it has some format details still turned on.

Which aspect of the format is being overridden from what you want?

If you go to Preferences / Folder Tabs / Tab Groups, you can view and edit hidden groups there. Maybe it has some format details still turned on.

I've tried unchecking any format details (Columns and Grouping / View / Sorting Options) in the Tab Group format options for that folder. I've manually set the Style to load with that Tab Group (I've also unchecked any format details in the new "styletabs.TabGroup" it created just in case, too).

When I load the Style, the format is still not what I've set the Path Format to be, and the padlock says the format comes from the Tab Group. If I back out to a parent folder and then back in to the same folder, it loads the correct format and the padlock says it now comes from the Path Format.

Additionally, if I load the Style and then right click that folder's pad lock and press "Reset to folder's format", it will load the correct format. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Am I going about this wrong? I just want a Style that loads a predetermined group of folders, with a toolbar, and I want the folder formats to be consistent with whatever formats I set in the Folder Formats preferences (Path formats, etc).

Which aspect of the format is being overridden from what you want?

Anything really. Sorting options, display options (lists, thumbnails, etc), it's always being overridden by the Tab Group format even though I've disabled everything in there.

Also, weirdly enough I just noticed the exact opposite happens with a different folder...

When I load another Style (with its own Tab Groups), the folder for some reason does load the correct format (padlock says Default Format + Path Format :+1: ) BUT it technically should be looking at its Tab Group formats which are enabled and custom. :face_with_raised_eyebrow: I've added grouping, different display and sorting for the experiment, none of which are showing.

I am so confused.

How are you loading the first style? I.e which command/menu item is being run.

I made buttons to change the styles. The first one I was talking about is a button with:

Prefs STYLE="Stream Time"

and the other buttons are also the same, just referencing different Styles.

NOTE: This isn't to say that one style is working the exact opposite from the other. It just seems random.. some folders are getting their format from the "Tab Group" (even if I manually uncheck any format options for that Tab Group's folder), and some folders are getting their format from the "Path Format", even if I manually DO enable format options for that Tab Group's folder (for the experiment).

What happens if you load the tab group directly without going via the Style? E.g. with Go TABGROUPLOAD="#styletabs.TabGroup" ?

Hmm doing it that way loads the folders with the correct formats :+1: Am I doing something wrong with my Styles?

From trying some things out today, it looks like there is a bug where the format within the Folder Tab Group gets applied when you load the Style, even when the format's pages are all turned off.

We'll get that fixed.

1 Like

Awesome, thank you in advance!
Let me know if there's anything I can do (or test) to help.

This should be fixed in the next beta. Please give it a try when it's released (probably in the next week or so), and let us know if you still have problems.

1 Like