Folder formats change flow

Hello!

Here's a proposed folder format change flow- a topic for discussion :slight_smile:

• applies also to navigating to a new folder and opening a new tab; therefore "Is new lister run from existing lister?" always true in this cases
  • CURRENT format is actually displayed format, in the active tab (if exists), of the active lister (no active lister/tab=no CURRENT format)
  • DEFAULT format is the format saved with 'Set as default lister' option
  • CUSTOM format is the appropriate format set in Default formats section
  • "Inherit current format" is a "Format Lock" extended to newly opened listers/tabs; It is equal to "Format lock" for folder navigation inside one lister/tab.
  • selecting None for Auto Contents means applying appropriate Custom format

X.

I had some initial confusion with the terms you used, but I think I understand now. Let me just first say that I commend you for putting thought into this system but ultimately IMO the answer is very, very simple and doesn't require diagrams, whether you are simply browsing, opening new tabs or new listers.

From your diagram you missed the traditional Opus "Default Format" (not the DEFAULT FORMAT in your diagram).

For those that don't know, we discussed before in another topic, that the current Formatting system is inconsistent, illogical, unintuitive and confusing to the new and experienced Opus user. (Refer [Lister Styles and Thumbnail View))

Let me just reiterate, the answer is very simple. Whether you are simply opening a new folder in the current lister, opening a new tab or lister, there should be NO Folder Format locking unless the Lister Folder Lock is applied. As kenalcock and I have proven, there is currently hidden "automatic" format locking. The current rules of applying Folder Formats would be 100% logical and consistent once this hidden locking is removed.

This format in the diagram is supposed to be the whole set of default formats.

[quote="sinx"]
Let me just reiterate, the answer is very simple. Whether you are simply opening a new folder in the current lister, opening a new tab or lister, there should be NO Folder Format locking unless the Lister Folder Lock is applied. [/quote]

I agree. I didn't even mentioned folder lock in the diagram, as it's use is (or rather "should be") obvious.

X.