Folder icon issue

I just noticed something. I think it may be a bug. I have a folder in which I want to set a custom folder icon. I have my ICO file in the folder. I also have a file in there called folder.jpg, which is hidden. Clipboard Image That is what I see by default.

If I go to the properties of the folder and set a custom icon for the folder, I would assume I would see that as my folder icon, but what I get is: Clipboard Image (1) . HOwever, that is not the ICO file I chose. If I go to windows explorer, I see the proper ICO file in there, not this.

I would have assumed that this new folder icon should have displayed by default because prior to me adding a ICO file, the folder.jpg was in the folder and should have looked like the 2nd screen capture by default, but it did not. Also, if I manually choose a ICO file, I would have assumed that it would override whatever folder.jpg file was there.

On another note, I have folder formats set to hide folder.jpg. I have a command on my task bar to show hidden files. I would have assumed this would display it, but it will not override the folder format. The command I am using is (Set GLOBALHIDEHIDDEN=Toggle INVERT). Is there a way to set this button to display something that I have hidden as a folder format? Or is there a different way for me to hide folder.jpg on all my directories so that when I click on "show hidden files" that it will display it?

Thanks

Folder.jpg takes priority when in thumbnails mode.

Icons will be used for modes which display icons, and in thumbnails mode as a fallback if there's no Folder.jpg (or equivalent).

Why is there a folder.jpg in the folder if you don't want it to be used?

Show Everything is the best way to temporarily reveal all hidden items.

Good to know about the priority. I did not remember that there was a folder.jpg in there. Reason I did not remember because until the moment i tried to add the .ico as my folder icon, i saw the first icon (see original post). It was only after i added the ICO that the 2nd screen cap displayed. If i go into the folder and delete the desktop.ini file, then it reverts back to the 1st screen shot. I would have thought that if a folder.jpg file was in the folder, the 2nd screen shot is all I would see no matter what I do, but that is not the case. Is there something I am doing wrong as to why the 2nd screen shot is not always there.

I tried something.... went to a folder, copied a small jpg to it. I renamed the jpg to folder.jpg. It hid (normal based on my filter). I then went out of the folder to the root and switched from detail to thumbnail and I see an icon style similar to the 1st screenshot. it will not display as the 2nd screenshot. I then copied a random ICO file in the folder for test purposes. I went to the properties of the folder and added the ICO file. The second I clicked ok, it displayed the folder using the folder.jpg file. Why would it only show the folder.jpg style folder in thumbnail mode if I add an ICO file and not do it by default regardless?

I looked at the show everything link you provided... I never knew I could click on hidden. It works as expected and shows everything. One thing I find when I do click on it. It goes from red hidden to a normal black "everything" it is not green like the screenshots show. it also moves location. Hidden is somewhere near the middle and "everything" is on the far left. How do I get it so that everything is green like the screen captures, and that it does not move from middle to the far right?

As I did not know I could click on hidden, I tried to click on 0/12 and the other items there, and the only thing that happens is that I see the focus go from the lister on the left to the lister on the right. Nothing else changes. (I have different folders in the left and right lister when I tried this). Is that normal behavior? It seems odd that by clicking on 0/12 or the 0/3 etc, that the only thing that changes is the focus changes from left to right lister (and naturally the folder tree changes along with that). The numbers 0/12 etc do not change or anything.

One is how the Windows shell displays folder thumbnails when there's a folder.jpg in them. The other is how Opus displays them if it's generating the thumbnails itself. If the folder's appearance has been customized, it must cause Opus to make the thumbnail itself, even if shell folder thumbnails are enabled, at which point Opus gives priority to the folder.jpg image (which I think makes sense; IMO Explorer has it the wrong way around, since it prevents you from having both a custom icon and a custom thumbnail).

Reset your status bar definition to the current defaults (Preferences / Display / Status Bar, then File > Reset Page to Defaults). What you have now probably dates back to an older version.

One is how the Windows shell displays folder thumbnails when there's a folder.jpg in them. The other is how Opus displays them if it's generating the thumbnails itself. If the folder's appearance has been customized, it must cause Opus to make the thumbnail itself, even if shell folder thumbnails are enabled, at which point Opus gives priority to the folder.jpg image (which I think makes sense; IMO Explorer has it the wrong way around, since it prevents you from having both a custom icon and a custom thumbnail)

I suppose I must have done something ages and ages ago without realizing what it did. Any clue as to where I would look so that if there is a folder.jpg file in the folder it will show the thumbnail as such by default?

Resetting the toolbar worked. However, clicking on the 0/12, etc still alternates the focus between left and right lister. I suppose there is a reason for that, just not sure what

I am still trying to figure out why folder.jpg does nothing when I have it in a folder. For the life of me I am trying to figure out what setting I must have selected that disables it or is in conflict with its creation.

Any ideas on where I can look? It happens on all folders, all drives.