Folder Level Sorting Preferences Not Saving/Holding

I have one particular folder in which I want to sort the files by modification date. So I did that, and then saved the preferences. As long as that folder is open, it holds. As soon as I close the folder and then come back to it, the preferences revert.

I've tried saving them multiple different ways. Saved as a favorite layout. Replace the folder format in any layout, etc. Just wont hold.

Now, I did the exact same thing for the same folder on my home computer, and it works just fine.

Thank you

When you go back into the folder, hover (don't click) the mouse over the format lock icon on the status bar. Where does it say the current format is coming from?

It says it is Tab #1 in a Tab Group named "Office" That's the right group.

So when you return to the folder, what you're doing is loading a tab group?

Edit the tab group via Preferences, then select the tab in question and click the button which lets you edit its format. If you turn off all the pages/sections in there, the tab will no longer override anything about how the folder is displayed.

(This is on our list to improve, as it's a bit more difficult than it should be, and tab groups probably shouldn't override things by default.)

ok...did that. the way I got it to sort by date modified....descending...is to click on the 'modified' column field inside the folder.

thing is.....that change doesn't stick when i close and reopen the folder.....on this machine. what i did at home was to save the file format after I sorted it....somehow it works there, but not here?

You need to save the change if you don't want it to only be temporary. From the main window, Folder Folder Options > Save (then choose the option to save for the current folder).

I did that before I wrote to you. Doesn't stick. Here is what I did:

right click on colums...more....save current folder format....click save....click save format for a folder....check replace this folder's format in any layout...click ok....back to folder options....the apply button is greyed out....click ok....folder closes.

when I reopen.....back to originals format...which is sorted alphabetically....BUT when you right click on colums...more....its still sorted alphabetically

Try setting the same sort order on the format which is inside the folder tab group. (Although you should not need to, if that section of the format has been turned off. That may be a bug, if it makes things work, assuming the latest version of Opus.)

not sure what you want me to do. Can you explain?

I can go to edit and edit the folder group....but i can only add/change the folders that are in the group, but I don't see how/where I can change the folder options from there?

and...I'm using 12.21 64 bit

You need to do what I mentioned earlier:

Edit the tab group via Preferences, then select the tab in question and click the button which lets you edit its format. If you turn off all the pages/sections in there, the tab will no longer override anything about how the folder is displayed.

With the tab selected, click the button above the which edit the tab's format:

I got it.....made the edits within the tab group. Same result?

Which edits have you made? Did you turn off the sections, or define the sort order, or both?

What does the format lock say now?

How are you opening the folder when things go wrong? (I'm assuming you are re-opening the folder tab group in all cases/tests. If you're opening the folder/tab some other way, then the issue might be elsewhere.)

same format description as before.

edited sort order. not sure how to turn off the sections

yes, I'm reopening the tab group.

its got to be something with this particuarl computer/software....jsut tried it out on my laptop....works like clockwork.

is there a way up reinstall/update/online repair?

I uninstalled and reinstalled. works fine now.
Thank you

1 Like