Folder tree not remembering last selection

I've been using Opus (under XP Pro) for years now, no problems, but suddenly a strange one: when I start it up and open a new Lister (either first start up or afte closing then re-opening) the folder tree is completely un-expanded. The Lister on the right opens in the last selected folder, but not the tree on the left.

I am runnng the latest version, and have not installed anything new to make this happen. The only thing, which may or may not be related, is that for the first time (ever, maybe) instead of opeing Opus either via teh icon or double-clicking the desktop (my usual methods), I opened it by right-clicking the desktop and selecting "New Lister". This strange behaviour seems to have started since then. It's really quite irritating!

ANy ideas...?
cheers
Phil

What is selected in the tree? Could you show us a screenshot?

Is "Expand Selected Branch" turned on in the Folder Tree preferences?

[quote="nudel"]What is selected in the tree? Could you show us a screenshot?

Is "Expand Selected Branch" turned on in the Folder Tree preferences?[/quote]

Somehow "Expand Selected Branch" had got turned off (it wasn't me, I promise!) but even havig turned it back on, I sm still getting this same unexpanded behaviour...

regards
P

What's inside the My Computer branch? Maybe if it takes too long to expand then Opus won't select it. If you exit Opus and restart it, does the My Computer branch expand quickly if you open it up by hand, or does it take a while? (Perhaps due to disconnected network drive or a slow device that's attached?)

It's quick enough now, but maybe that's becuase it's already running - maybe after a reboot... I had noticed, before this problem arose, that on first start in the mornings, it would take quite a while to expand the tree... is there a timeout on this function then? Perhaps that's it.. perhaps I've reached some critical mass whereby it can no longer open it in time and so aborts.... but my network and attached devices haven't changed...

regards
P

I've had this problem, or one like it, for years. I'm not sure what's causing it but I'm 99.9% sure it's not an Opus problem. I believe it's one of the other many programs I have that automatically launch during boot up for it only affects my primary machine (even when I've replaced my primary machine with another brand new one). And it affects more than Opus, many other programs such as IMatch will not launch correctly until the initial Windows boot sequence is finally finished. Which is about 2 or 3 minutes after it appears to be finished.

Here is how I can tell when Windows is finally all booted up and how I live with it. I have Opus set to launch a lister upon boot up, and when that lister loads the tree is just as you say, it's not expanded as it should be. At that point I don't touch a thing, I just leave the computer alone for 2 or 3 more minutes and then all of a sudden the tree will expand. At that point I know I can start launching my other programs without problems.

I don't have Opus set to autrun on boot.. I always only run it some time after bootup - in fact I am almost superstitious about the sequence I start in the mornings!! I boot, wait, read my emails, then start Opus.... but maybe I'll try waiting longer and see...
cheers
P

It could be that Opus is the first thing to trigger the initialisation of a bunch of stuff (or devices in the tree maybe) so it might not be tied to booting but instead to the first time Opus opens, if nothing else on the system triggers that initialisation.