FTP connection using implicit TLS

I am trying to connect to a FTP server that requires implicit (not explicit) TLS, and can't see how to do this.

I have a registered version with the secure FTP certificate, but every time I try to login, I continually get asked for a password.

How should I configure DOpus for this sort of connection?

Thanks,
Martin.

You need to select the Secure SSL Implicit option from the Connection drop-down:

Beyond that, the details are somewhat site specific.

The FTP log may have useful information about why the connection or password you're using is failing. You can open the log via the FTP menu on the default toolbars.

Leo:
Please excuse my ignorance, but is FTP using implicit TLS the same as SSL?
Thanks,
Martin.

TLS and SSL are not quite the same thing, but they are so similar that sometimes people may say SSL when it's really TLS.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transport_Layer_Security

Here is my problem.

I supplier has given us these details (see attachment), and I can't seem to access the site via Dopus.
Protocol: FTP
Encryption: Requires FTP implicit over TLS

Is this clearer now?

Thanks,
Martin.

What does the FTP log say?

220 FTP
331 Enter password
530 Invalid userid/password
Connection closed

Hmm, seems quite straight forward; I'll contact the supplier.

Okay, we're getting somewhere now. The supplier told me to try the password in lowercase rather than capitalized as he had said.
Now I'm getting into the FTP, but then I'm getting and error (see log below). I have installed FireFtp to see if I could get it to work, and I did! It uploads my file perfectly, but Dopus give me an error.
One final thing, when FireFtp starts, it tells me there is an unverified certificate, and asks me if I want to create and exception (which I do), might this be where Dopus is failing?

FTP Log:
Abriendo Conexión abcd.dummy.com:990
220 FTP
331 Enter password
230-User logged in
Welcome to FTP Corporative.
230 User logged in
200 PBSZ=0
200 PRIVATE data channel protection level set
215 UNIX
211-Extensions supported
SIZE
XMD5
XSHA1
XSHA256
XSHA512
XQUOTA
LANG EN, ES, FR, GE
MDTM
MLST size*;type*;perm*;create*;modify*;
REST STREAM
TVFS
UTF8
AUTH SSL;TLS-P;
PBSZ
PROT C;P;
211 end
200 Command OPTS succeed
200 Command OPTS succeed
200 Transfer mode set to ASCII
257 "/" is current directory
550 Command PORT failed
Conexión cerrada

Try passive mode, the first suggestion in the FTP FAQ.

Yes, I have tried this and reviewed the FAQ's.

I believe the problem is that I don't have the LIST privilege on the FTP. I have contacted the supplier. Does this sound viable to you?

Regards,
Martin.

The PORT command failing (in the log you posted above) suggests a firewall/network issue to me, but it could be something else.

I have confirmed with the supplier that we don't have the LIST privilege; this seems to be the problem.
When connecting with Dopus it automatically issues a LIST command and this is failing.
This does also lead me to doubt if the Spanish translations (maintained by me!) are correct and that the LIST command is not outputting PORT instead.
Maybe Greg could check this.
Thanks,
Martin.

The error line isn't translated at all; it's in English and I think may come from the server.

If you don't have permission to list directories then it definitely won't work. No sense worrying about anything else until that is resolved.

Leo:
Your help is much appreciated.
I think we can close this issue now.
Regards,
Martin.

Hi,
sorry for "opening" again that thread but I have the same behaviour as described here. With the same log output.
I've discovered that, in my case, the problem is that the remote server uses passive mode and it responds with a local IP address when waiting for the 2nd port (to do the "passive mode thing")
I tested this with another tool Filezilla 3.7.3. That tool warned me about this issue and the App resolves the problem ignoring the IP address reported by the server and replaces it with the IP/address used with the first connection.

Is it possible to achieve that behaviour with DOpus with some tweaks or configuration options?

Thank you in advance,
Manuel

Manuel:

That was my problem also. I set it to use Passive mode and all was well.

Regards,
Martin.

Martin:
I have already selected Passive Mode and it doesn't work for me.
The server responds with a 172.22.241.xxx type of IP. I'm thinking that maybe the FTP it's on a virtualized server and that's the reason of the given IP.

Any ideas?
Manuel

Sorry, no.
I'm not an expert in this field.
Regards,
Martin.