Funny Vista behavior

Running the latest version of Opus on Vista RC2. If I double click on any icon on the desktop I open another Opus lister.

Opus is not currently supported to run under Vista. As policy we do not support any operating system that is not formally released and available for sale to the general public.

We will not be supporting Vista in the immediate future, nor even staring to work on a Vista version until Microsoft have released a full version. As we know from bitter past experience, to do otherwise is like trying to hit as moving target and simply fruitless and a waste of time.

We will be developing a version to support Vista once the commercial domestic versions of the OS are available sometime next year. This version of Opus will be available as an upgrade at a discount for existing users.

Hi Rex !
It's really good to hear from you again.
Welcome back. ( I have a new username now ... )

Rex, there are several threads on the Directory Opus forum about MS Vista Beta's.
The bad news is that so far noone has a proper install of DOpus on Vista yet.

The problem you point out is new as far as I know.
I think the best thing to do is first research the Directory Opus forum on Vista.
If you have anything to add to these threads, let us know.
And second, I think we'll have to wait for the final release of Vista to properly run DOpus ( :unamused: :unamused: ).

Regards,
Zippo

Edit Note: Greg posted as I was writing my reply.
Sorry Greg, I should have looked first.

Lol! It would be a first on a forum, anywhere!

It's kind of funny. I was running a 8.1.x release and it was working pretty good. Updated and got the funny behavior. Changed no settings at all.

I'm not a happy camper with Vista right now. Very few printer drivers available at all. Problems with Nvidia video drivers. Problems with Nero.

This is a product that is scheduled to be released to corporate customers next month. I would hazard a guess that it's at least 6 months from release.

You realize of course that none of those are in fact issues with Vista but the 3rd party software.

Vista itself is quite solid - and once applications start to support it, the user experience will be better.

I will vent my complete frustration that MS can't manage to get one piece of beta software to run on another one (XNA doesn't work in Vista). This is the reason I'm not running Vista.

However I found Dopus behaved itself MOSTLY pretty well.

There were some issues with it working with the new graphics layer, and virtual folders such as 'my computer' didn't seem to work properly (I could double click on icons and they wouldn't launch, but could still right click -> open them).

Mostly opus works fine for me - bar the installer issues.

I can understand where GPSoftware is coming from but the reality is that the RTM of Vista is a few days away and i'll have it installed some 7 days after (when it's officially released to end users via MSDN) here at work (on multiple PCs). I can live with the functionality in the main - the only thing really driving me nuts is the inability to right-click and choose properties for any file/folder. I'm not using it as an explorer replacement.

If, perhaps, I can be of any help to you in resolving issues then please do ask - I work in software development and am currently resolving issues with our own products under Vista. It isn't (Vista) as frightening as you might think and the lack of broad issues with basic Opus use suggest there might not be THAT much work to do :slight_smile:

Best wishes and thanks for a great product - i've been with you since the Amiga days lol.

Like Dangel, my observation is that DOpus and Vista are not exactly poles apart. Many DOpus users are already running Vista test systems and whilst GPSoftware is right to be wary of last minute changes, and quite possibly post-GA changes as well, it would surely make sense to get as many "testers" as possible using the Vista/Dopus combination. A simple statement to the effect that Vista is, as yet, an unsupported environment and/or a similar warning during the installation process should be good enough to keep the lawyers happy?

Regards, AB

Vista doesn't have a compatiability layer that allows you to run software in a kinda of emulated prior-OS version? I know XP and maybe 2000 had this feature so you could run software designed for any variation of Windows.

Vista has the same 'compatibility' settings yes but Opus (I guess) hooks into explorer in replacement mode and Vista's explorer is quite different from the one one of old.

Vista has RTM'ed and I expect to be running the final product in just a few days when it's released on MDSN..

There is a reason for this. The main core of Windows2000 was not written in house by Microsoft rather developed by Dec (of Dec Alpha fame). Once the new core was written, Microsoft later went on to release the worst version of their operating system... millennium (a side project while Dec finished the robust 2K core). XP was written as an addendum package with glitz and glamor. They could have, for all intents purposes, made XP a service pack 5. XP broke quite a few things but still had the main core of 2000 under its skin (a.k.a. theme). Dec was commissioned once again to write Advanced Server 2003 software for Microsoft, it still has the compatibility layer functions.

With both Longhorn and Vista, the development has changed and the tracks are once again inside the house of Microsoft. The main core of 2000 has been pushed to the side and a new abstraction layer has been put in place. The good part - more functionality, the bad part - less compatibility. Even some of the MFCs have broken in the .NET framework in the new OS layer.

When vista/longhorn is out, yeah I'll upgrade, but only after Opus is verified to work with it.

Kent Seaton

DEC (Digital Equipment Corporation) could not have possibly have written Windows 2000, as they ceased operation after being purchased by Compaq in June of 1997. This was less than a year after the release of Windows NT 4.0, and almost three years before the release of Windows 2000. Even more impossible would be any DEC involvement in Windows Server 2003, again, since they went out of business in 1997.

There is a connection with DEC here, although not the one described. Dave Cutler used to head up the VMS operating system group at DEC, and he eventually moved to Microsoft in 1988, where he headed up the Windows NT development.

Windows 2000 was originally known before release as Windows NT 5.0, and is built quite solidly on the NT 4.0 kernel. No version of Windows was ever outsourced.