German translation correction

The current version 13.9 shows a translation error.

Wrong: "Diskspeicher belegt als Prozentwert von summe datenträgerspeicher (72%)"
Correct: "Belegung Diskspeicher (72%)"

Reason for my suggestion: "als Prozentwert" is redundant as you can see the "%" anyway. "von summe" says nothing, "Belegung" means exactly that.

1 Like

But "Diskspeicher" is not a German word. Perhaps "Datenträgerplatz" oder "Speicherplatz".

English version to have the reference here:

Direct translation according google would be something like this, but sounds strange:
"Verwendeter Speicherplatz als Prozentsatz des gesamten Speicherplatzes"

e.g.
"Belegter Speicherplatz in Prozent bezogen auf den gesamten Speicherplatz"
But that is very long.

"Belegter Speicherplatz (72 %)" would be enough, yes.
Or: "Belegter Speicherplatz: 72 %"
And between digit and % must be an empty space. At least in German language.

But isn't it that simple: Belegter Speicherplatz 72% without any brackets.

Ah someone was faster than me :grinning:

You are right. Lets stick to your suggestion: "Belegter Speicherplatz: 72 %".
But does this mean it will be corrected in Dopus now?

1 Like

Guess so, the status bar shows the overall disk space and the progress bar the used space. So it would be fine if the tooltip of the bar gives us the percentage of the (used) value.

OTH, I'm not very happy about the lengthen English tooltip either.

IMO, one could shorten this, too, to be more clear and precise:
"Disk space used 97%"

1 Like

There are several problems here: My translation is not consistent as far as the term "disk" is concerned, this also has historical reasons. I will correct that. However, the text is made up of several parts and lower case is sometimes enforced. It will therefore not be so easy to correct this. A shorter source text, as already suggested, would therefore be the simplest solution.

Well, the only REAL (spelling) error which hurts the eye is in fact the lower case in "summe datenträgerspeicher".
Kind of a syntax error if you use a case-sensitive programming language.

The rest is debatable.
Kind of a warning incident in programming language processing:
May be altered, but it works.

Regards
Guido
JPEG developer

In fact, I didn't realise that German is almost the only language that requires nouns to be capitalised. I hope Jon and Leo will find a solution.

Hello Markus

It is forgivable in case there is an insurmountable obstacle.
It sounds weird though, the more so as the word "Prozentwert" in the same sentence is correctly capitalized.

Anyway, I have another issue which I would call a semantic translation error and which may be easier to fix:

DOpus_Einstellungen

This is a translation from the English Lines, but it means lines of text as is written in the Opus manual (before the filename is truncated), and the German translation in this case is Zeilen instead of Linien which would be graphic elements. In English Lines can have both (and more) meanings. If the word Rows had been used instead of Lines then the translation would perhaps be less ambiguous to Zeilen.

1 Like

Sorry, wasn't watching that correctly. Will take care when doing the next corrections run.

2 Likes

When we get a moment, we might add separate strings for the most common combinations, so that those at least can have nicer strings. (Would be nice in English as well, since it's also very verbose compared to what it needs to be for simple things like percentage used space.)

1 Like

That's done for the next beta, using the existing strings. It'll also no longer lowercase the strings when in German.

4 Likes

That sounds great :grinning:

2 Likes