"go root=collapse" on Favorites?

Is there a way to collapse the Favorites folders and subfolders once expanded? "go root=collapse" doesnt seem to work.

The command "go root=collapse" doesn't collapse the Favorites folders :question:,
but this is a workaround: create a button using this code:

Set TREE=Off Set TREE=On

Or you could just click the little + sign next to the Favorites branch to collapse it? :unamused:

[quote="jon"]Or you could just click the little + sign (...)[/quote] :laughing:

Personally I don't use the show 'Favorites in Foldertree' option. But in my opinion, one would expect the Favorites folder to be collapsed when using the 'collapse' command, especially when you go to My Computer and everything collapses ...

Tree? Who uses the tree? Silly idea...

unfortunately Set TREE=Off and Set TREE=On didn't have the desired effect. it did fold the favorites but then it expanded the most recent favorite location under it's root drive.

I'm not sure what you've been smoking, but if you can convince me of a viable alternative id like some too.

It's a "Go ROOT" command, not a "collapse" command.

If you're showing the a favourite which points to F:\Data\Blah and click "Go ROOT" then it will take you to F:\ since that's the root of the path you're in. With "=collapse" added it will make sure the F:\ branch that you end up in is collapsed.

The existing command is fine and shouldn't be changed, IMO. Maybe an additional command is needed to collapse the current tree branch.

I've never used the tree in Opus - other than to test odd bits and pieces. It's a cumbersome method of navigation. I find that with carefully selected favourites, drive buttons and the Opus path field I never need it.

i agree, the tree is cumbersome, and i never use it. i don't even use a path field anymore. i navigate exclusively via the Find Field. i have Folder Aliases set up for the places i visit most often (even for drives, it's faster to type /c than c: since the : requires Shift, but the / does not...). all other folder i access from these, by just typing the name (quick find).

if you choose your aliases carefully, you can get to any of a couple dozen folders with just four keystrokes. it's amazingly fast, much easier than the hunt-and-click method that using a tree requires, since it does not rely at all on visual feedback...

@Leo: You're right about the description in the Help-file, but under 'Internal Commands Summary' it says:

ROOT/O Go to the root of the current folder
collapse Go to the root of the current folder and collapse the Folder Tree

Nothing about the current drive’s branch in the Folder Tree ...
But now I understand the GO Root command. :wink:

So, the only way to collapse the whole folder tree (except the favorites branch!) is something like this:

GO /mycomputer GO ROOT=Collapse

I think Go ROOT only works for filesystem folders (i.e. where there's a root drive letter to go to) so that may not work either.

I've never used the tree in Opus - other than to test odd bits and pieces. It's a cumbersome method of navigation. I find that with carefully selected favourites, drive buttons and the Opus path field I never need it.[/quote]

I use Opus for work. Nearly none of my activity is done on c: I have twelve mounted network drives, on any given day I'll use maybe seven of them, and usually the folders in them are deeply nested (5-7 levels), often changing, and many branches have identical folder name structures . I just don't see how anything could be better than the tree in this type of situation. If it weren't for the visual feedback of the tree, id be constantly going back and forth and would quickly lose track of exactly where I was.

I would imagine quick find would be much slower on networked drives too?