Google Drive Integration

I know this topic has come up before - and the answer has been pretty much "no", but I wanted to throw it out again, esp. in light of support of Microsoft's Skydrive (or whatever the heck they call it now - seems MS does a lot of name backpeddling these days) - I think it is time to bring up Google Drive integration.

Here is what bothers me the most. My smartphone's file manager (X-Plore; close as I can find to Dopus on Android) has SEAMLESS integration with Google Drive - yet the most powerful file manager in the world on my PC does not (worse yet, it supports Skydrive instead).

I'm fully aware that Google Drive does not expose a network share, WebDAV or FTP methodology, meaning that accessing it would be a level of effort. Personally, I'd pay extra for that "plugin" - as Google Drive is my last storage location that Dopus will not give me ubiquitous access to.

It can obviously be done - as I said, my smartphone/tablet file manager does it (and about 10 other cloud services as well) and it just breaks my heart that Dopus doesn't.

Thank you.

What's wrong with the Google Drive client for Windows? That's the normal way to do it, I think.

The VFS plugin system allows this type of thing too, so it need not be us that makes it. We'd be happy to assist any plugin authors.

The Google Drive client is a sync tool. That's not what I'm looking for. I'm looking for direct, real-time access to my Google Drive content. I don't NEED a local copy of my Google Drive; thing is 20GB in size. If I could have ubiquitous access to that 20GB, there would be no reason to keep it local.

As it stands, when I want to do file operations on Google Drive, I honestly end up using my phone or tablet because it provides real time access to the content in a manner I would like to access it; as a file system. That is sad.

It comes off a bit biased that Skydrive is supported, yet Dropbox, Google Drive, etc. are not. Yes, I do understand that Skydrive was easy to support - but I'm not sure that is an excuse to forgo other popular online clouds. You've set a precedence that Dopus supports cloud storage; I know I'm not alone in wanting something other than Skydrive support.

Hey, all I can do is ask - and if the people want it enough, I suppose it will come from SOMEWHERE :slight_smile:

Congrats on v11 shipping. My copy has been secured already.

Makes sense.

The SkyDrive support is because the Windows 8.1 SkyDrive client was so non-standard we had to write extra code just for it to work in Opus. The other clients (including SkyDrive on older versions of Windows) don't need similar code. It's not really us favouring SkyDrive so much as Microsoft making changes which broke things that are always part of Windows 8.1 (and so conspicuous if left broken) and forced us to write code to make them work again.

I see .. so you aren't supporting Skydrive. You're fixing MS's 8.1 screw ups and that is a "feature" of Dopus. That makes sense.

We need a cloud VFS then, apparently. I can't believe this doesn't already exists somewhere.

They were taken to court by BSkyB theverge.com/2013/7/31/45748 ... ange-bskyb

Yeah, and I'm not usually one to jump up and defend Microsoft - but that whole thing was a bunch of garbage. Almost as bad as being allowed to register the trademark "Candy" related to gaming ....