HELP - Having to reinstall DOPUS every time I login into Win 10 Professional!

Hi,

One week ago I upgraded to Win 10 Professional, from Win 7 Professional, and ever since whenever I logon to windows Directory Opus (V11.17 x64) which is set to startup automatically is requesting that I reinstall it. I was running with V11.16 when I upgraded and just tried V11.17 x64 which is exhibiting exactly the same behaviour.

Also to note, my current licence is valid.

What do I need to do to prevent me from having to reinstall every time and then also having to re import my saved settings/configurations?

Many thanks in advance.

Kind Regards,
Craig Stock.

What is the exact message you are seeing? Could you post a screenshot (assuming there is no licence information in the screenshot, of course)?

Is Opus asking you to reinstall the program, or just your licence details, or something else?

As requested. Here's the screenshot of the 'Directory Opus Initialisation Wizard' I see every time I log in.

That implies C:\Users<your user name>\AppData\Roaming\GPSoftware\Directory Opus or some of the files/folders above or below it are not writeable.

It could mean that the file permissions for your profile folder have been messed up somewhere.

If you right-click that folder (or the nearest parent folder, if it does not even exist), then choose Properties, then Security, what does it show?

You should see your own user name in the list; if you do, what does it shown when that is clicked?

Hmm, C:\Users<your user name>\AppData\Roaming\GPSoftware\Directory Opus is indicated as 'Read Only' although I can't delete it, rename or change those rights on it because I have to be an administrator - that's the catch I am?

Very confused. Any idea on how I can proceed?

Do you mean the Read Only attribute on the General tab, or that your user name only has Read & Execute access on the Security tab?

'Read only' under general although I had full access under the security tab?

Had to enable the local Admin user account and login under it. It also reportedly needed Admin rights to change the read only attributes on my usual user's AppData\Roaming\GPSoftware folder but obviously had full rights access!!

Copied AppData\Roaming to AppData'Roaming Copy' but still couldn't do anything with the GPSoftware folder in the new copied folder! However, very strange, the GPSoftware and MicroSoft folders had actually been been moved into AppData'Roaming Copy' from AppData\Roaming. So I went to copy them back into AppData\Roaming but then couldn't copy GPSoftware but the Microsoft folder did copy. So, GPSoftware was then stuck in AppData'Roaming Copy'! Of course I didn't mind that;-). (Warning: I strongly would advise against doing any of this without a backup!)

Re-logged in and reinstalled Directory Opus and rebooted and settings persisted. AppData\Roaming\GPSoftware still has Read Only under general settings and full access granted to my user as it had previously.

All very strange!

Sounds like your computer is haunted. :slight_smile:

The read-only attribute should not be there, but also should not really matter (assuming a current version of Opus).

But if you are not able to create files and folders below that directory, then there's a problem with the permissions which would need to be corrected. The user profile directories should be writeable by the account they belong to, or a lot of software is going to break.