How can i launch multiple instances of Dopus.exe

Is there a command line option or other method to enable running multiple instances of Dopus.exe where each instance is running as a different user (having their own credentials)?

The use case is to manage files from different network shares where the network share requires a specific username different than the logged in user in a way that only Directory Opus would have access to the files. Additionally, different profiles may be used for the listers in each user specific lister.

The current behavior for Dopus appears to be "single instance" and even if I try to launch a new instance as a different user, it simply opens a new lister window as the currently running user. Using a UNC is not an acceptable approach because once logged in, any other application on the computer has access to the network files, and this violates a separation of concern security requirement (e.g. only Dopus should be able to access the remote files).

Additional Info:
As shown below, a similar question was asked in 2011 and 2016. Much time has passed and that is why I am asking this question.

https://resource.dopus.com/t/multiple-instances-of-directory-opus-with-surun/10272/4?u=grosner

https://resource.dopus.com/t/multiple-instances-of-dopus-11-12/23336/5?u=grosner

Have you considered a Sandbox or Virtual Machine?

I did consider virtualization.

For our use case, virtualization creates undesirable issues including the need for virtualization software to be maintained on any machine simultaneously running multiple instances of Dopus.exe with different user credentials.

It would be best if Dopus.exe supports running multiple instances with different user credentials like so many other applications can nowadays.

You can do it, but the instances need to be on separate desktops. I.e. Fast User Switching, or whatever it's called these days in Windows.

Another option is to run Opus as another user (without any other instance running) and map the drives from there. Drive mappings are per-user, so software running under the main user won't see those mappings.

I understand, however the use case is to simultaneously run two instances of Dopus with different users credentials on the same desktop. Is this feasible?

No it's not possible, otherwise Leo would have said it was :slight_smile:

1 Like