How can I Open a File's Location in new tab, and focus on it

Hi, I tend to use Flat Views and do a lot of file searches, and I could really use a function that will open a file's location in a
new tab, AND focus/highlight that file for me.
I have found a partial solution to this and have created a button with the following command:Go NEWTAB=nofocus OPENCONTAINER=target
This command will open a new tab in the file's parent folder, but it won't highlight it. I'd also like to know how to keep the 'solid' highlighting of the file in the original tab when invoking this command; currently after using this command, the original tab defaults to a very faint outline of the file selected (very hard to see compared to the initial solid highlighting).

I'm new to Dopus and thus am not familiar with many commands/functions as of yet. Great program, I just need to learn much much more.

thanks,...

Remove the "=nofocus" part if you want the tab to be active & brought to the front when it opens. (nofocus means don't do that and open the tab in the background instead.)

For the faded selection colors, go to Preferences -> Display -> Options and you'll find settings to change how/if the selection colors change when windows are inactive.

Hi leo, thx for the reply...
Regarding your comment:"Remove the "=nofocus" part if you want the tab to be active & brought to the front when it opens. (nofocus means don't do that and open the tab in the background instead.)"
I don't want to focus on the tab per se, I want the new tab that opens to actually highlight the file. The same thing that occurs when you do a windows explorer search and then select "open file location." It opens the file location and the file is highlighted in the list.

That happens automatically, at least for me. The file in question is always selected in the new tab for me. (I don't think it gets scrolled into view; maybe that's why you're not noticing it?)

That happens automatically, at least for me. The file in question is always selected in the new tab for me. (I don't think it gets scrolled into view; maybe that's why you're not noticing it?)[/quote]

The file is not selected in the new tab for me either. It is visible, that is, not a scrolling issue.

That happens automatically, at least for me. The file in question is always selected in the new tab for me. (I don't think it gets scrolled into view; maybe that's why you're not noticing it?)[/quote]

What function/command are you using to open the file location in a new tab? Are you opening it in a new tab from a search, a collection or flat view?

I'm opening it with the custom command I found somewhere on this board: Go NEWTAB=nofocus OPENCONTAINER=target
Is there another one that you're using?

Currently, it opens a new tab in the files location, but highlights the top file/folder in the list instead of the file I selected in the previous flat view tab when I invoked the above command. Basically I just want to find the equivalent command that windows explorer has when you do a search, right click a file and select "open file location," upon which it opens a new window with that particular file highlighted in its directory.

Ah, it selects the item if the original item was a shortcut, but not otherwise. I'd always been testing on shortcuts.

I've added this to the to-do list.

Hi leo, Do you think this is something that can be worked out with the current Dopus 10 and a little creative command experimentation, or do you work for Dopus and are alluding to a 'new feature' that needs implementing?

thx

Just a quick bump for the request to have the OPENCONTAINER=target to work on all files (not just shortcuts).

Often I perform this command on files in a Find Results collection, but if the file in question was itself part of a heavily populated folder it's annoying having to scroll through the directory trying to find it.

Even better if the command also scrolled to the position of the file (but now I'm probably being greedy!).

Alternatively, is there some other way to do this in Dopus 10 (something involving SELECT perhaps)?

Go {filepath$} NEWTAB by itself works with normal files.

(If you tell Opus to go to a path, and it's a file not a directory, then Opus automatically goes to the parent folder and selects the file.)

Wow, that's...kinda obvious now that you point it out. I was so focused on the OPENCONTAINER bit that I never thought to just GO to the file itself. :slight_smile:

Appreciate the quick response Leo!