How change default name of copy-pasted files & folders?

Hi,

I installed DO v10 and saw that when I copy & paste a file or directory, DO creates a new file with the same name followed by " - Copy".
My question is this: can this by default added " - Copy" be changed by the default used in the previous versions of DO, meaning "Copy of " before the name? If yes (hopefully): where can I change this setting?
Thank you for your suggestions.
Eric

This might help you (requires 10.0.0.6 Beta):

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\link

or

[url]How to change prefix 'Copy of' into a postfix]

Abr's post is about removing the " - Shortcut" suffix when creating shortcuts, but I don't think it will affect where or whether the " - Copy" / "Copy of" suffix/prefix appears when pasting into a folder that already has a file with the same name.

If you want a quick way to duplicate files in the current directory (or into the destination) with a specific prefix, that's easy enough. Is that what you're aiming to do?

Leo, sorry, i had it wrong. I think your suggestion frrom the second link does exactly what wouteric asked.

Hi, thx for the suggestions, but all I want is that DO names again (like in v9 and like Windows explorer does) the copy/pasted files "Copy of 'name of the original file'" instead of what he does now, meaning "name of the original file' - Copy".

I don't think there is a way to change the name used when pasting files. The best I can think of is a way to copy/duplicate the selected files with a prefix added to their names (but using a button/hotkey to do it, not Ctrl-C / Ctrl-V).

Not that it helps get what you want, but FWIW what Opus 10 does is what Explorer has done since Windows Vista:

[quote="leo"]I don't think there is a way to change the name used when pasting files. The best I can think of is a way to copy/duplicate the selected files with a prefix added to their names (but using a button/hotkey to do it, not Ctrl-C / Ctrl-V).

Not that it helps get what you want, but FWIW what Opus 10 does is what Explorer has done since Windows Vista:

[attachment=0]Clipboard Image.png[/attachment][/quote]

Hi,
I indeed saw this just a minute ago. So this means that DO v10 follows Windows Explorer for this. As I never use Wind. Expl., I thought that this was a setting of DO, as DO9 gave the name "Copy of...".

OK, I suggest I close this topic now, as this becomes a Windows issue, not a DO issue (but I prefered DO v9 for this issue... :frowning:)

Thx for all who gave suggestions.

Hello,

Sorry to reactivate this subject 11 years later but it is still an active question for me in current dopus version :sweat_smile:

I'm using two commands Copy RENAMEWHENSAME and Clipboard PASTE for copying files.
With these two commands dopus will automatically rename a filename if there is already this same filename in the destination folder.
I like that this behavior is automaticcaly done so that i don't need to click a button specifically.
But i really don't like the suffixe '- Copy' that is added at the end.

Windows Explorer has the same behavior, so I have tried to change the default suffixe in windows by adding in registry a specific string value "CopyNameTemplate" under key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\NamingTemplates\

On my system, i've changed "CopyNameTemplate"="%s" it will redefine the default " - Copy %s" value.
Now in windows explorer it is working like this : a file 'example.txt' which already exists will now be renamed 'example (2).txt' rather than default 'example - Copy.txt'

After i've changed this registry parameter (and also after an OS full reboot), Directory Opus is not taking this registry parameter and is still renaming the old way my files like 'example - Copy.txt'.

Is there a way to change directory opus behavior so that

1. dopus could use the default windows explorer parameter "CopyNameTemplate" as defined in registry, so that dopus and windows explorer would have the same behavior based on that registry parameter ?

2. dopus could also define its own renaming pattern in dopus preferences ?
    For example, i would prefer to rename my files with just a simple counter, with no parentheses at all, like this pattern : 'example.txt' => 'example 1.txt' , 'example 2.txt' etc. which is not possible with windows explorer "CopyNameTemplate" pattern as it will always increment with parenthesis.

Do you think it could be easy to take into account in future versions ?

Cheers,
Antoine

Are you just aiming to duplicate things where they are already?

not really because if a file already exists in destination with the same filename it may not be the same file.

in most cases, i copy a bunch of files from one folder to another and in destination if a file already exists with the same name i want it to be pasted and renamed automatically with an increment (not with - Copy suffixe).
in some cases anyway i could do a copy paste of the same file just to duplicate it but it's not my main use case.

Makes sense! We can probably make this configurable in the future.

1 Like