If you're like me, you've spent many hours tweaking your copy of DOpus to fit your needs perfectly, and you would hate to lose all this hard work. It's easy enough to make a backup of your DOpus configuration, but for some of us, it's not easy to remember to back things up. So here is a short tutorial that will help you set things up so that every time you start your computer, a backup is made of your DOpus configuration files. These backups are kept for 10 days, and are then deleted.
Note - This tutorial assumes you chose to use shared configuration files when you installed DOpus. This will be true for most users. If you are using private configuration files, you will need to adjust the paths in the batch file accordingly.
- Download and install WinRAR if you don't already have it.
- Download Forfiles.exe, and put it in your WinRAR directory.
- Open Notepad, and paste the following into a new text file:
cd "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\GPSoftware\"
rar a -agYYYYMMDD "Backup\backup.rar" "Directory Opus"
forfiles -pBackup\ -s -m*.rar -d-10 -c"CMD /C del /q @FILE"
4. Save the file as DopusBackup.bat, and place it in your Startup folder.
5. Make a folder called Backup in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\GPSoftware\
That's it! Now, every time your computer starts, your dopusdata folder will be archived in your new Backup folder. Be aware that if you boot more than once in a day, the file will be overwritten, since the filename is based on the current date. Also, every time this batch file runs, any backups older than 10 days are deleted.