How to change clipboard image paste quality?

I've been searching and trying to figure out how to change this, but haven't been able to figure it out. When I take a screenshot using printscreen and then paste the image in a lister, the quality is terrible. I'm assuming there's a way to change the default paste quality, but I can't figure out how?

Thanks!

Your option for pasting from clipboard might be set to JPG.

You can also have Opus ask you which format and quality to use each time you paste, or keep the jpg format and noit be asked but specify a higher quality, by editing the Ctrl-V hotkey (Settings / Customize Toolbars / Keys).

If you want to do it either of those ways, see the AS and PASTE arguments of the Clipboard command.

Is there a way to permanently set JPEG to 95 for example, and still choose other formats (PNG etc.) when required without re-editing the hotkey?

I set the CTRL+V function to "Clipboard PASTE=jpg:95" but after this, the clipboard_image_paste advanced preference doesn't seem to have any effect (output will always be JPG).

The Prefs option is only used if the command doesn't specify/override the format.

Using two hotkeys my be a good approach. Use ctrl+v for what you want to be the default and, say, ctrl+shift+v for an alternative, or to make it ask what you want.

Personally, I always save to BMP as it's fast and lossless, and I often want to crop or edit the image, then compress it when it's ready to upload.

1 Like

Ok sorry, changing the CTRL-V key function (in the Toolbar category) from "Clipboard PASTE" to "Clipboard PASTE=jpg:95" seems to annul the regular paste function for files/folders?

What am I doing wrong? I've currently set CTRL-Shift-V (under Hotkeys) as Clipboard PASTE=PNG.

Easiest thing to do is leave Ctrl+V as Clipboard PASTE and set the default format/quality via Preferences. Then make Ctrl+Shift+V do whatever you want.

You could also use a script to check what's in the clipboard but I don't think there would be any advantage to that.

1 Like

I've set it up like that, default Paste as PNG and Ctrl+Shift+V as JPG. Isn't it strange that the resulting PNG image is smaller than the JPG? For example:

PNG: 44.1 kb - JPG q95: 123kb - JPG q80: 68.5kb

Sometimes PNG is smaller than JPEG, especially with things like screenshots where there is a lot of solid color and simple shapes.