How to..? Change column date formats

Question: How do I set up a date/time column (say, for date modified) to show the following format?

yy/mm/dd hh:mm
07/04/30 12:00

That's leading year, leading zeros, suppress centuries, suppress seconds, 24 hour format.

Thanks!

DO doesn't offer custom column content like TC, so you have to adjust the time and date string in your control panel.

If you only want to disable the "today, yesterday, etc..." string, search the preferences for "date".

Icfu

Greetings Icfu!

I must have misinterpreted something in Mr. Nudel's v9 preview material suggesting the new version allowed for date formats.

Everything about DOpus seems so configurable, but... little basic things like date display aren't? :frowning:

The world is small for FM addicts! :slight_smile:

Yep, he mentions it only for renaming IIRC. Also you can use the strings for scripting purposes and the like.

It looks like our odyssey isn't over yet, indeed. :wink:

Icfu

[quote="JohnFredC"]Question: How do I set up a date/time column (say, for date modified) to show the following format?

yy/mm/dd hh:mm
07/04/30 12:00

That's leading year, leading zeros, suppress centuries, suppress seconds, 24 hour format.

Thanks![/quote]
Opus, like all good apps, uses the system date and time formats to display dates and times. If you want to change them go to the Regional Settings control panel.

[quote="leo"]
Opus, like all good apps, uses the system date and time formats to display dates and times. If you want to change them go to the Regional Settings control panel.[/quote]

This is not working for me. I'd like to display the time in hh:mm:ss as specified in my system time format but Explorer and Opus will only display hh:mm. What's with that?

Turn on the Show seconds in time columns option in Preferences / Folders / Options.

1 Like

Ahh yes, thanks for the help! I was expecting more date/time formatting options too, but I am happy just getting seconds dispalyed for now.

I would like my times to display in 24 hour format. Is there any option to do so?

If your system time format (as set in the Region & Language control panel) specifies 24 hour time, then Opus will use it.

FWIW, you have to change the long time not the short time setting in Windows 10 to get 24 hour time

You can also override the time format Opus uses without changing the system-wide format these days. (System wide one will still be used by default.)

You said "you can also override the time format Opus uses without changing the system-wide format these days." Does that mean you can do something inside Opus to change time formats over and above what is available in Prefs/Folders/Folder Formats/Columns/Date and Time? If so, what would that be? Thanks.

Preferences / Miscellaneous / Advanced [Information Display]: custom_date_format and the other related settings there let you configure specific time and date formats in Opus separate from the system format.

Thank you. The warning in the manual "Advanced: This is the scariest page in the whole Preferences system. You don't need to look in here. Really" worked too well. I can see I'll have to look at it some now.

1 Like