How to change Folder right-click context menu?

Hello there,

When right clicking on folders I only get the menu Open, Explore, Open in new folder tab, Search..., Cut, Copy, Paste, Create Shortcut, Delete, Rename, Properties.

I can change the "All files and folder" context menu via the file types window, but any changes made to the "All Folders" Directory Opus File type do not reflect in the right click context menu of folders.

My question is how I can add a general "Open in XY" to all folders. I would assume it was possible via the File Types window but can't seem to get it right. (I have the "Hide Windows items in context menu" option activated).

Yours,
moontear

That's why. :slight_smile:

They'll re-appear if you hold shift (as per the text by the checkbox for that option). Or you can add specific items back, in some cases, as described here. Or have a sub-menu with all the stuff that is hidden, so it's still easy to get to but out of the way.

If you create new items on filetypes you can set their type to Opus-only and that should make them appear in Opus even if the Hide... option is turned on.

Thanks for the help - I know that I can override the setting with shift, but I don't want to use. Your link to the other Thread was also helpful - still I don't totally understand what is going wrong.

I can add a Action "Run an Opus function (not supported in explorer)" and my action will show up in the folder context menu.
When I choose "Run an application (supported in Opus and Explorer" the action does NOT show up. It does however show up in the regular explorer menu.

This is exactly what I don't want: cluttering.
Let's take the example of MP3Tag. The argument for it is the following:
"C:\Program Files\Mp3tag\Mp3tag.exe" "/fp:%1"

Now when editing the "All folders" File type context menu I already see this action existing. Directory Opus does NOT show it though without using shift and showing the whole menu. When adding exactly this argument as a DO function, it does show. When trying to add it via the "run an application" type it again does not show in the usual DO context menu, but in the shift-explorer menu.

Additionally: The MP3Tag does not have a GUID which I can find out via the debug mode and is not existing in the registry under the specified location as in the other thread.

I hope i am making sense...

moon

Just adding to that: Right now I have the following actions sticking with the MP3Tag example (for Winamp goes the same):

Action: MP3Tag (opus)
Type: Standard Function (Opus or external)

Action: MP3Tag
Type: Run an application (supported by Opus and Explorer)

Only "MP3Tag (opus)" does show up in the folder context menu. Both items show up in the Shift/normal explorer menu.

If you add something that's "supported by Opus and Explorer" then it's added as a standard context menu item in the registry. After that, as far as Opus is concerned, it's no different to any other standard entry and will be hidden if the Hide... option is turned on.

(The Hide... option is poorly named, IMO. It doesn't hide Windows items, it hides non-Opus-specific items. i.e. Almost everything that shows up in Explorer will be hidden by default in Opus if you turn on the Hide... option.)

On the other hand, if you add an item that's "Opus or external" that means it can run an Opus command, or run an external program, but either way it's an Opus-specific item. It's stored in Opus's config file, not in the registry, it can use the many command codes like {sourcepath} and {filepath} which only Opus understands, and it will only appear in Opus not in Explorer. Those items are always shown.

The purpose of the "Hide..." option is to remove the clutter of all the items which can be added to Explorer if you don't want to see all of that. If you do still want to see certain items then you need to add them back via Opus-specific items which either do the same thing (for Explorer items which ran a particular command) or which override the hiding (for Explorer items which were added via handlers, i.e. the GUID stuff).