How To Configure Listers Open To Specific Folders Each Startup

It's nothing to do with Windows 10. It's up to each individual application where it opens its windows, and how/if it saves previous positions.

Opus defaults to opening new windows where the mouse cursor is, but you can change that.

For the default lister, there are three options under Preferences / Launching Opus / Default Lister:

Choose Always in the same position if you want it to be where you saved it, and use Settings > Set as Default Lister in the lister itself to save that as your preferred position.

If you're opening a Layout rather than the default lister, then there's a setting in each layout which controls where it opens (you can set this when saving a new layout, as well as when editing existing layouts in Preferences):

If Open layout relative to the monitor the mouse is currently on is turned off, then the layout will open the windows exactly where they were when you saved them.

(In both cases, this assumes the monitors and screen positions still exist. If you save a layout with a window on a second monitor which is then unplugged, the window will be moved to another monitor when you open it, since it would be invisible otherwise.)

(This is also assuming that ZMover or a similar tool is not moving other application's windows after they open. If you're seeing everything not remember positions where things used to, I'd suspect something like that was involved, rather than an OS change.)

This simply means that you did not even know of this issue. I will show you now on your own computer so you can see it for yourself under Windows 10:

Launch Internet Explorer.

Position the Window so that it is not maximized but at the far right edge of your screen touching the edges just like so:

Now close the window:

Finnally, re-open it:

You think it is in the same position now? Are you claiming it is in the same position on your computers? This is a Microsoft screw-up.

That’s a bug in IE. Opus is not IE.

I’m not sure why you are bothering to ask for help in here since you don’t seem to want to believe anything we tell you.

What you're seeing is because in Windows 10 the resizing border around windows is transparent. If you remember back to Windows 7, there was a thick border around windows that you could grab to resize them. That border is still there, but it's not visible.

It's still technically part of the window, and most software has no idea it's there and doesn't compensate for it. (It's also a pain to work out accurately how big it is, especially before a window has been displayed, and if you support multiple DPIs. Microsoft could have done better here.)

Technically, what IE's doing isn't wrong, but it is not ideal in terms of aesthetics, since it leaves what appears to be a gap at the edges of the screen. (The top edge of the window isn't affected because it doesn't have a transparent border, as the resizing border is inside the visible titlebar not outside it. The whole design is a kludge by Microsoft on top of the way Windows used to look/work to get what looks like very thin borders while still allowing you to grab the sides of windows to resize them.)

It's something we do compensate for in Opus, however. So if you want Opus to remember window positions right at the edge of the screen, it will. (12.17.1 beta added a slight fix for the left edge of the screen, for what it's worth.)

Windows that go off-screen will be moved so they are on-screen, but anything up to the visible edge of the window will be preserved correctly, without the need for third party software to move things around.

1 Like

I was already aware of the transparent "border" that's often used around many windows. If I push the window to the right or left edge and then close it, it does move toward the center when I reopen it. However, after that first drift occurs, it no longer moves no matter how many times I open and close the window.

So, it is remembering the window position, but it's also obeying a rule of opening the window completely inside the screen area. Since the transparent border is part of the window, Windows the application has to move the window over enough to fit inside as well.

It's not Windows that moves it. Windows will let you open a window completely off-screen if that's what you ask for. It's the applications that (sometimes) move their windows to ensure they're completely on-screen.

Which is usually a good thing. The transparent border complicates things a bit, and not much software has been updated to account for it, but Opus has and does.