How to display a date field like date created or date modified with millisecond precision?

I would like to request a feature that lets you see the milliseconds for a date time field like date created or date modified. I want to differentiate between some files that all have the same date created to the second. They were created very quickly with a script, so the second is not unique. This is an example with Free Commander. Is there a way to display milliseconds in Directory Opus? It seems like these links might describe a way to do it.
https://www.gpsoft.com.au/help/opus12/index.html#!Documents/Codes_for_date_and_time.htm

However, I could not figure out how to add milliseconds in Directory Opus. I tried with version 13 first and then with version 12. Neither version worked. For example, notice that all of these files have a date modified value of 2024-04-07 20.27.43. I do not know what the millisecond time is.

If such a feature does not exist, I would like to request the ability to view milliseconds in Directory Opus. This could be added a future release. This is a feature request. And if possible I would even like to see microseconds and nanoseconds. I think NTFS is precise to 100 nanoseconds.
Microsoft Copilot suggested using wmic to get the date a file was created, but it didn't work. wmic didn't work and Powershell only displayed the date to the second.
wmic datafile where name="c:\path\to\your\file.txt" get creationdate

XYplorer can display milliseconds.

Try checking Preferences / File Display Columns / Options / Show milliseconds.

2 Likes

Does Directory Opus support 0.0001 seconds and more precise specifications such as microseconds and nanoseconds? Xyplorer supports up to 10^-7 seconds.
You type ::msecs 1, 7; in the address bar.

Opus displays the milliseconds to 3 decimal places, but it should be possible to show the entire value by creating a custom column via classic scripting (the Evaluator columns also reduce milliseconds digits to 3 decimal places).

Does it? Can you give an example? Here's the best I could find:

var d = DOpus.Create().Date();
DOpus.Output(d);
DOpus.Output(d.ms);
DOpus.Output(d.Format("T#MHH:mm:ss"));

Ah I didn't realize that in the classic scripting Date objects that are received for Item are Opus' objects and not JS/ActiveX dates.

So it seems the higher resolution custom column can only be achieved by querying the files manually via some ActiveX interface rather than via Opus built-in facilities.

Is there an actual use for timestamps of this precision?

There is in situations like:

Are milliseconds really not good enough though?

I'd imagine that scripts generating files might be fast enough depending on the storage medium write speed (especially if concurrency is involved). Seems like an edge case situation though (I myself never had such situation).

I used to XYplorer to view to 100 nanoseconds precision.

In the original screenshot the files are named incrementally anyway, so I'd assume 2002-W10-2 has been created after 2002-W10-1, and having 214k objects with 0 bytes would have accordingly 0 (or near 0) practical meaning. Any script which can create 214k files with non-zero bytes content would definitely require more than 1 nanosecond to create all those files and the whole question would be moot anyway.

2 Likes

I like seeing the difference in the date time created.

The thing you asked for (milliseconds) is there already.

I don't think we're going to add even finer detail to any built-in column. Even milliseconds are a little ridiculous, IMO, for displaying file timestamps.

Note that sorting will always consider the full timestamp resolution, so the precision of what's displayed doesn't affect how things are ordered if you sort by date.

2 Likes