How To Make A Button For TeraCopy

I was reading this thread, [resource.dopus.com/t/copy-speed/5001/1) , about TeraCopy, and got interested in using it.

It really is a FAST copy program, and I have been trying to find a way to set up a button for the program.

What I would like to do is to select a file in the source lister, click a custom button for TeraCopy, and have the program copy the selected file to the destination lister.

No matter what argument I try, I cannot seem to pass the filename to TeraCopy. {file}, {filename}, {filename$}, etc just don't work, all that happens is that the program starts, but has no file information in it.

Anyone have any experience in setting up a button for this copy program, or maybe already have a button for it you care to share?

You may need to use {filepath$} rather than {filename$} if the program needs the full path to the file. It depends on the program, though.

The best thing to do is always to open up a standard command prompt and manually type in an example command with actual filenames/paths to verify that the program works as you expect it to. Only after you have done that does it make sense to try to build an Opus button which will run the command; otherwise you are trying to solve two problems at once without knowing what is going wrong.

I've tried your suggestions with no favorable results. I just don't have the brainpower to figure this out, I'm afraid. I went so far as to install a trial version of Total Commander, because there is an option within TeraCopy to install buttons on the toolbar in TC.

So, after the buttons were installed in TC, I had a look at the commands, and they read like this:

The Command was C:\Program Files\TeraCopy\TeraCopy.exe

The Parameter was copy "%L" "%T"

That button takes the selected file, and copies it to the opposite lister window.

Now, I've tried that within Opus, and no go. I've tried that within a dos prompt, and no go.

Would someone please translate that above TC button into a button for Opus that will work? It is just out of my reach, for now.

Thanks!

Just a WAG here, but you might give this a try as a button command:

"C:\Program Files\TeraCopy\TeraCopy.exe" {f} {destpath}

Thank you for that suggestion, John. Unfortunately, it did not produce any results either. It just started TeraCopy, but did not pass any information to the program.... :frowning:

Well I'd say the next step would be to read up on TeraCopy's command line syntax. The one I gave last time would have sent the full path of the file you had selected in the source lister, and the full path of your destination lister, to TeraCopy.

Oh yes, I agree 100% !! Unfortunately, the documentation is little to none on this program, which is surprising considering the huge boost in copy speed that is available thru this puppy.

If only there were docs available. I even tried the /? function in the dos prompt, to see if there were any built in helps, but no go there either.

I'm really stumped on this one.

Hi Folks:

I stumbled on this thread and decided to give a hand, thinking I could give someone a idea.
x:\programs\TeraCopy\add.exe Add "%L" is the basic command explorer uses (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes*\shell\TeraCopy\command)

If you do the following in the context menu:
x:\programs\TeraCopy\add.exe Add {filepath$} it will add the file you have highlighted to the window.

Hope this is what you are looking for... :slight_smile:

Hey, PackMan, thanks much!!

With that suggestion, I was able to make some headway, at least!

Now, TaraCopy pops up, and has the selected file in it's window, so that's a start.

It is not doing the auto-copy with the provided selected filename, but it is one step closer to what I would like it to do.

So, maybe it is possible to make a button to copy, just like Total Commander 's TeraCopy button. Good news.

Now, if anyone else has some ideas of what to do next, maybe we can get this figured out. Well, I mean, maybe you all can help me to figure it out. :unamused:

Why not ask the people who make TeraCopy? They should be experts. :slight_smile:

Once you know what the commands look like turning them into Opus buttons should be trivial.

Yep, that's next on my list. But I thought since it's more an Opus related question, about how to make the button, then I was hoping that someone already had the answers from past experience.

It's not an Opus related problem until you know what the command-line is supposed to be and have managed to run the program manually from a command prompt with the expected results.

We can't help you make an Opus button until you tell us what the button is supposed to run.

Roger. Got it. Perfectly clear. Thank you for your time.

Sorry, my reply probably came across as overly harsh unintentionally. I shouldn't reply when hungover. :slight_smile:

No worries. Been there myself a time or two... well, maybe three or four..

Anyways, when and if I can get some information from the author of TeraCopy, I'll update this thread.

Hope you recover soon!

[quote="nudel"]Why not ask the people who make TeraCopy? They should be experts. :slight_smile:
[/quote]

That's right :slight_smile: TeraCopy needs a file that contains a list of selected files. So command line is:

Yes, I got an answer back from Jeff, the author of TeraCopy. He provided me with the button codes for a Copy button and a Move button. I'll post them in the appropriate section of the forum.

If any of you regularly copy/move files of a large size, I really urge you to give this program a try, I believe you'll be amazed at how much faster it really is!

I just wanted to thank you for answering my question on your support forum so fast! Very good customer service!!

Hey - no problem. Yip I do copy lots of files around, and I am aways waiting.... So this program will help me a lot. Great!
Glad I could provide someone with some ideas.. Usually I am ways taking them, but it's nice to give them for once... :slight_smile: