How to make an ISO image file

Hi, I am currently using power iso for creating and burning iso files but i would like to be able to make, burn and mount them with opus. Is there a script or plugin i can use to do this or is this feature going to be incorporated in a future release of opus?

Creating ISOs isn't something we plan to add, at least in the near term.

Opus lets you go inside of ISO files as if they were archives, provided ISO is enabled under Preferences / Zip & Other Archives / Archive and VFS Plugins. (If double-clicking them does something else, another program may be assigned as the default, but you can still select them in the folder tree if you don't want to change what double-click does, as long as Preferences / Folder Tree / Contents: ZIP files and other archives is on.)

Treating ISOs as archives is great if you want to quickly browse and extract some files, but won't work if you want to run an installer (since the installer won't be able to see any of the other files). For that kind of thing, mounting is still needed.

Mounting is best handled by dedicated tools, and there are great free ones which integrate perfectly with Opus, so we don't see any need to reinvent them. I use Virtual CloneDrive but there are lots of others. Their right-click context menus should work automatically, and you can also set up Opus toolbar buttons to mount and unmount things if you like, provided the tool has a command-line mode (most do). There are some example buttons in the Buttons & Toolbars section here.

Windows 8 and above have built-in ISO mounting support.

Windows 7 and above have built-in ISO burning, so that's taken care of by the OS. (Windows also still has the much older built-in support for building up a CD image on-the-fly, which Opus supports. Just drag files to a new CD or DVD.)

Like Leo, I use Virtual CloneDrive to mount ISO's... and have it integrated entirely with Opus (I never use the actual applications interface).

Similarly, to create ISO's I integrate ImgBurn into Opus, and use the following from a button/lister context menu entry:

[code]@nofilenamequoting
@keydown:shift

@keydown:none
@set start = /START

@keydown:common
/jtools\imgburn\imgburn.exe /MODE ISOBUILD /BUILDMODE {Rc|Select Build MODE...|DEVICE=DEVICE+IMAGE FILE=IMAGEFILE} /SRC "{s|noterm}" /DEST "{RF|Specify Output Filename...|{s|..}{s|nopath|noterm}.iso}" /VOLUMELABEL {RS|Specify Volume Label...|{s|nopath|noterm}} /ROOTFOLDER YES /RECURSESUBDIRECTORIES YES /INCLUDEHIDDENFILES YES /INCLUDESYSTEMFILES YES /FILESYSTEM "ISO9660 + Joliet" /VERIFY NO /EJECT NO /NOSAVESETTINGS /CLOSESUCCESS {$start}
[/code]
...which isn't prefect, but it suits me just fine. This button prompts for a file and path to save the ISO image as - even if you specify you want to burn straight to a device (blank disc). In the case you do want to burn straight to a disc, the "/DEST" argument that takes the full path to an ISO file just gets ignored and ImgBurn does a decent job of picking the drive that has a blank disc in it without even prompting. Not sure what happens if you have multiple drives with blank media in it... but for this and a few other reasons I set the button up so that if I hit it with the SHIFT key, it doesn't autostart the burn... giving the chance to change some options before starting the burn manually.

Sure, it relies on an external app... but both VCD and ImgBurn are freeware. ImgBurn also works portably, so it works when running Opus from USB as well. And again - theres a bare minimum of interaction with the applications UI, making it feel like it's just Opus more or less doing all the work :slight_smile:. There are other ways to do whats above - like breaking out separate commands to burn to either disc or image into separate buttons. This is just the way that works ok for my needs.