How to set a default position for toolbars?

Dears,
As you know, DOpus have some Styles. I set the Commander style as default by Settings -> Set as default lister and define a new toolbar for my needs.

Under Commander style, the position of my toolbar is middle, between my two lister (i.e. between the source and destination pane). Under Filmstrip style, the toolbar is placed at right.

Every time I close DOpus under Filmstrip style, next time when I open DOpus, it is opened in Commander style as it deserves, but my toolbar remind at right and I must change its position to middle by hand.

Is there any way I can set a default position for my toolbars too?

Regards

When you get DOpus set up as you like it, go into "settings" and select "Set as Default", and set it as your default.

Then go again into "Settings" and bo to the very bottom option, "Backup and Restore".
Backup your settings to another location.

Perhaps this post is useful to you [url]Toolbars not staying in the same place] (and also click the screenshot links there)

Thanks for the answers, but

@smacker: If you read my letter again, I did that work beforehand. The problem is with toolbars not styles and Set as default just lock styles.
My problem is under the same computer, not another computer. So, backup is not my mental turmoil too.

@Christiaan: Thanks for the link. Now I know this is a shortage in DOpus. I will write a utility for solving this lack as soon as possible (I hope so!).

Regards

FWIW, I can't repro this. When I go back to the Commander style the toolbar that was on the right returns to the middle.

The only setting I could think of that might affect it was "Update Default Lister automatically when closing a lister" but that didn't (and shouldn't) make any difference since toolbar state is global and not tied to layouts or styles.

(We are talking about a "global" toolbar that is on all the time, right? If it's a "local" toolbar which you're toggling on via a button after opening the lister then that may change things.)

You are right, I should be told more about it previously.

I'm not using internal DOpus Lister Styles - Tabs command for jumping from Commander to Filmstrip style (and vice versa.) I use my own keys because some issues in standard DOpus' style tabs (For example, I need my toolbar be at right in Filmstrip style, but this is occurred just if I jump to Filmstrip from Commander Style. When I jump to this style from Dual Horizontal style, the toolbar is placed at bottom -and some other problems).

At first, I used the following codes for my keys:

Commander:

Prefs STYLE=Commander Toolbar NAME=Drives STATE=center Go PATH="{s}"

Filmstrip:

Prefs STYLE=Filmstrip Toolbar NAME=Drives STATE=right

But the problem was remined.

Next, I use the following codes:

Commander:

Toolbar NAME=Drives CLOSE Prefs STYLE=Commander Toolbar NAME=Drives STATE=center Go PATH="{s}"

Filmstrip:

Toolbar NAME=Drives CLOSE Prefs STYLE= Filmstrip Toolbar NAME=Drives STATE=right

The above worked very good, without any problem.

As you see, I didn't use Local or Toggle switches, but I think closing and opening the toolbar means the same for DOpus.

At the present, my problem appear just when I close DOpus under Filmstrip style. Next time when I open DOpus again, my toolbar is placed at right, however, the style is Commander and I must click on Commander key for solving the problem.

I hope my explanation be clear :slight_smile:

That changes the question completely. You hadn't told us you were changing the toolbar's position via a command. :slight_smile:

Can't you just leave it in the "center" position?

In filmstrip mode "center" toolbars end up on the right of the window anyway.

quote="leo"Can't you just leave it in the "center" position?

In filmstrip mode "center" toolbars end up on the right of the window anyway.[/quote]

I use Commander and Filmstrip more than other styles and the Commander is my default lister. Other styles are used very rare by me.

OK, "center" toolbars are jumped to the right anyway, but the problem is when they must back to the center again! At the present, this is possible just by hand, not automatically. When I change the position of a toolbar under Filmstrip and exit DOpus, next time when I open DOpus, the lister is opened under Commander style, because the Commander is my default, but the toolbar is saved its position on the right.

I like to save a default position for my toolbars too. In other word, I like when I close DOpus under any situations (my toolbars are closed, opened, top, buttom, obliquely, crashed, cracked, etc... :laughing:), next time when I open DOpus, I see them healthy in right positions.

Is it possible by DOpus internally? As Christiaan mentioned me, I think the answer is "NO". Am I wrong :question:

Best Regards

They go back to the center by themselves as soon as you go back to a mode that has dual file displays.

Remove all of the Toolbar commands from your buttons. Put the toolbar in the center. Now switch between the Commander and Film Strip styles without doing anything to the toolbar.

You should see that it moves to the right with the Film Strip style (since it's a single-display style) and moves back to the center with the Commander style (since it's a dual-display style).

You don't have to move the toolbar at all. It already does what you want automatically. In fact, moving the toolbar is what's causing the problem. :slight_smile:

I understand it and I'm talking exactly about the same thing. I want the problem not be appeared even when I move the toolbar. If DOpus could set a default position for toolbars too, the problem will not be appeared even when some toolbars are moved. OK? :wink:

Regards

P.S.: The attached anim is showing one of the reasons that why sometime the user have not any remedy just moving toolbars with a code. The anim is captured with a fresh DOpus, without any customization. When the toolbar is placed on the bottom under Filmstrip mode, but user need it on the right, do you think there is any option except moving the toolbar with a code?

Ah, I think I understand now. You're switching to Dual Horizontal (not Commander which is vertical rather than horizontal).

With a dual horizontal setup the "center" toolbar ends up at the bottom when the second file display is closed, which makes sense.

Instead of your existing Film Strip buttons, try this:

Prefs STYLE=Filmstrip Set DUAL=Vert Set DUAL=Off

Or this:

Set DUAL=Vert Set DUAL=Off Prefs STYLE=Filmstrip

(They both work but maybe one will be less annoying than the other while it's moving things around.)

Both of those buttons will ensure that the lister is in dual vertical mode before turning off the dual display and switching to the Filmstrip style.

The bad thing is there's a bit of flashing as the dual display moves around (and turns on temporarily if it wasn't on already) but it happens pretty quickly and should give you the desired end result. Seems to work here, at least.

Ok, with a little connivance, your codes seems solve the problem during jumping from Dual Horizontal to Filmstrip (I learned another think of you with these codes, thanks :slight_smile:) .

But another question to prove that a "Default Toolbar" is the only solution way in some situations:

I use Explorer style without the toolbar (The Drive toolbar must be hidden under Explorer Style). What about if I jump to Filmstrip from this situation (don't forget that I need the toolbar on the right at Filmstrip)

Global toolbars are not tied to styles or anything else. The only setting is how they are now. Change that and you've, well, changed it. There is a default toolbar setting but you are changing it by turning off or moving the toolbar.

The ability to have different toolbars turn on and off with styles, layouts and so on has been requested in the past. It's already in GPSoftware's ideas database.

I kept my promise. Point to this topic if you like.

Regards

P.S.: Oh God!, Please take a long live to my file!. I prayed because my previous file (that was a part of this project) was deleted by Admin. I'm not a Virus programmer, I didn't wrote a malware to now, I'm not a gangster; I'm just a so so witty :laughing: