How to use Windows 11's default right-click context menus (as opposed to full context menus)

Is there any way for Directory Opus to use Windows 11's default right-click context menus, with the row of icons for cut, copy, etc?

windows-explorer-right-click-menu

I thought I'd hate the Windows 11-style right-click menus, but they've really grown on me. Now that I've reinstalled Directory Opus and have to see the full context menus, I miss the Windows 11 default style.

Any help would be appreciated,

Thank you!

1 Like

There's no public API for them that we're aware of. We'd have to reinvent them and mimic the style. And frankly given how hard it is emulating the original context menus I'm rather loathe to go down that track again.

Thanks for the quick reply. Hopefully MS will release the public API down the line or something.

Would it be possible under the current DOPUS context menu framework to get a similar result via adding a new context menu entry type called something like "Icon strip". For customization purposes the user would drag and drop menu items to it just like a submenu but it would display a set of icons stacked horizontally. Visually it would obtain the same results as the icon strip at the top of the win11 menu but with far more flexibility and the user can decide where to place it, could place multiple of them, ect. That way you aren't re-inventing the context menu, just adding a new context menu item type.

In addition, two settings that I think would be useful not just for the Icon strip but also in general is the ability to pin a context menu item to the top so that it's always one of the first options closest to the mouse (for frequently used items) and the ability to always have the context menu maintain menu order relative to the mouse. As it stands right now, the menu will load below the mouse when at the top of the screen and above the mouse when at the bottom. This can be problematic if you ordered your context menu for productivity as it means your most used items are furthest from your mouse half the time. If loading below the mouse is considered the normal state, then simply flipping the menu when loading the menu above the mouse would achieve the same relative distance for menu items