Icons in Lister Background

How do I get icons like this in the background of my DOpus lister?

Images can be added under Preferences / Display / Images.

Once in that list (after clicking OK or Apply), you can then assign images to individual folders via Preferences / Folders / Folder Formats, by adding or editing a format for each folder and specifying the image on the format's Options tab.

The images themselves were made by extracting the 256x256 icons from C:\Windows\System32\imageres.dll, converting them to PNG and making them translucent so that they blend with the background color and are low-contrast so text is still readable over them.

I can't remember if this is the way I did it at the time, but:

• Extraction of all the icons can be done using a tool like IconWorkshop. Load the DLL, then select all the icons inside and use File > Export > As Windows ICO. Now you'll have a few hundred .ico files in a folder.
  • Opus can convert the .ico files to 256x256 PNG images. Select them, then push > to open the quick command prompt, and type Image CONVERT=PNG as the command.
  • I probably used Photoshop's batch-mode to reduce the opacity of the images, but you could also use the free ImageMagick command-line tool to automate that if you don't have Photoshop or similar.

I have all that setup now, how do I make DOpus change the folder formats to the ones I have set automatically? Every time I go into a folder and select 'Reset to Folder's Format' it'll carry across to other folders when I leave it, so I have to select 'Reset to Folder's Format' every time I enter a folder.

If you've saved Path Formats for the folders, they should be used automatically when you enter the folders, as long as the Format Lock isn't on.

This should help if you need a deeper understanding of how folder formats are chosen when changing folders, and how to work out what's going on if you don't get the right format:

LOL, this whole time the issue with the formats not automatically changing was as a result of a lock button on the status bar, I feel really dumb right now.