Image Meta

FindReplace

About:
This Script AddIn adds a new command, ImageMeta, to DOpus. This command opens a dialog which allows a number of editing options (Find & Replace, Append, Prefix, Replace and Clear) for several Image metadata items (Authors, Copyright, Description, Instructions, Subject and Title).

Warning: There is no undo and this command will operate on multiple files with no confirmation request.

History:

• 1.0 (6/5/20)
    • Initial Release
  • 1.1 (7/5/20)
    • Added Authors metadata.
    • Added Script config default options.
  • 1.1.2 (7/5/20)
    • Redesign of dialog - different modes resize the results list to fill available space.
    • Command METADATA argument populates in DOpus command editor menus.
  • 1.2 (14/5/20)
    • Added File Name and Parent Name modes.

Installation:

Usage:

• Download: Image Meta.dcf (243 Bytes)
  • Select "Settings / Customize Toolbar..." from your Lister and then drag the button file to any toolbar you like.

Select as many files as you would like and click the Image Meta button. The script will sort through all selected files and only include valid image files in the list of files to be changed.

The script has configuration options in the Preferences / Toolbars / Scripts page. These options duplicate the command line arguments below. The arguments will override any script configuration options.
An additional option is available in the configuration (remember_position) which allows you to choose if the dialog remembers it's last used size and position.

The script adds the "ImageMeta" command to DOpus and it accepts a number of arguments.

ARGUMENT       TYPE    POSSIBLE VALUES    DESCRIPTION

APPEND          /S     <no value>         Forces the dialog to open in Append mode.
CLEAR           /S     <no value>         Forces the dialog to open in Clear mode.
FINDREPLACE     /S     <no value>         Forces the dialog to open in Find & Replace mode.
PREFIX          /S     <no value>         Forces the dialog to open in Prefix mode.
REPLACE         /S     <no value>         Forces the dialog to open in Replace mode.
FILENAME        /S     <no value>         Forces the dialog to open in File Name mode.
PARENTNAME      /S     <no value>         Forces the dialog to open in Parent Name mode.
METADATA        /K     <string>           Select the metadata item open by default in the dialog.
                                          Value can be: Authors, Copyright, Description, Instruction, 
                                          Subject or Title.

e.g: ImageMeta REPLACE METADATA="Title" 

This will open the dialog in Replace mode with all selected files 
                                          showing the Title metadata.

Screenshots:

A few screenshots to demonstrate several modes:

Replace

Append

Prefix

Clear

5 Likes

Many thanks Steve. This will be very useful. :smiley:

1 Like

No worries. Enjoy.

Let me know if you think of anything else relevant and worth adding to it.

this is awesome :smiley:
Is it possible to support PDF files (and its meta data) too? I have so many and I don't wanna edit them one by one. ....I am not familiar with scripting yet :expressionless:

Another idea: something like "title = filename" and/or "subject = folder name"

best regards

1 Like

I have an identical version for audio files - but nothing else at the moment. i will have a look at other filetypes.

Don't forget that the normal metadata pane allows you to edit the metadata for multiple files at the same time.

thank you so much :blush:

Here's a pdf and an audio version which also includes your suggestion so you can select File Name or Parent Name mode for any of the fields.

Pdf Meta 1.0.js.txt (17.6 KB)

Audio Meta 1.1.js.txt (16.8 KB)

Usage is pretty much the same as the ImageMeta program above, the new command will be PdfMeta or AudioMeta.

Also, updated the Image Meta script with File Name and Parent Name modes.

1 Like

wow! This is much better than modifying every single file manually. :smiley:
Is it ok if I extend your scripts a bit more...or at least try to? :sweat_smile:

The only thing that would be practical too are tags (keywords). Maybe I can do that somehow and then I would upload it here. I spend hours trying to figure out how to open this script dialog to build a GUI (...and I have no clue). I am a C++ developer, but here I feel like a complete beginner :flushed: :sweat_smile:

I've merged all versions into one new tool: Bulk Meta. You can use this for Images, Audio and Pdf files.

You're welcome to add to the scripts but I am planning on looking at other metadata to include and tags will be amongst that.

I recommend not looking too hard at my scripting - I am a dabbler at best - a real programmer would probably have a stroke looking through my code. :slight_smile:

1 Like

awesome :smiley:

Minor update to Bulk Meta.

Now includes Tags for all filetype categories.

you are the best :smiley:
thank you so much :blush:

1 Like