Img to *-OCR.txt

this is great! thanks to this post: Is it possible to search files by text shown in images?

i made a great button & context menu action for images. that will automatic extract text out of image, creating a txt file next to the image.

PictureName.png turns into
PictureName.png-OCR.txt !

Requires having Tesseract installed.

the simple code for button \ context menu...

@nodeselect
@nofilenamequoting
"C:\Program Files\Tesseract-OCR\tesseract.exe" "{filepath}" "{filepath}-OCR"

change the program location if you installed it else where.
Here the button:
Img to #-OCR.txt.zip (697 Bytes)

this is the context menu entry which i set under Images File Type Group so it only shows up on pictures.

the OCR is so-so but ive noticed the same mistakes from other OCR software. i love how quick this is! fast than opening sharex or snip and manually copying the results! :slight_smile:

an example:

WINWORD_2024-04-05_12-39-03PM_413x210

Microsoft Word . N =)

(7) Do you want to keep the last item you copied?

If you do, it may take a bit longer to exit.

Enjoy yall!

3 Likes

Sounds useful. So you can take a picture with a digital camera an run it through that application? Or is a scanner required (don't own one)?

I would imagine you could, worse case scenario is that the orc wouldn't see any text and you get a blank .txt file. I do plan on trying that. I'll post when I do.

the answer is yes!

i used the the 1st random image i came across going into my personal photo library with text in it.

i used this picture... [i resized to post, the original is 12mb]

and got this text out of it. it saw more text then i expected despite all its misspellings, i call this a win!
;----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

pre

Due to fire activity in the area, The

Observation Peak Trailhead is inaccessible

due to road closures. We apologize for the
inconvenience.

UNITED STATES DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE
FOREST SERVICE
GIFFORD PINCHOT NATIONAL FOREST
MOUNT ST HELENS NATIONAL VOLCANIC MOUNUMENT ADMINISTRATIVE DISTRICT
AMBOY, WA

FOREST ORDER NO. 06-03-01 -22-06
Siouxon Area Closure
Pursuant to 16 USC § 551 and 36 CFR § 261 30(a) and (b), the following acts are protubuted within the
areca described below and on the attached map (Exhibit A) on the Mount St Helens Navonal Volcaruc
Monument Adomilsweative District within the Gifford Puchot National Forest. These prohibitions will be
affective bemioing September 26, 2022, until September 40, 2025, unless rescinded earlier

Exobibivions:

CFR 261.53(#)).
2) Being on a read. (16 CFR § 261. 5Ke)}

1. Being on a trail. [36 CFR § 261 55(4)),

Closure Arca Description:

All National Forest System (NI'S} lands are closed 0 afl occupancy and travel within the dented
elosure area boundary and at shown on the attached map (Exhibit A),

‘af Forest Boundary and NPS Road 54 east along the north edge of NPS Road 54 to the Junction
‘of NFS Roud 57; then east along NFS Road $710 the intersectioar with NFS Ri $704, east along NES
Rend S74 as & chutes tor NFS Read 5800; northeast alorg NFS Road $800 to the jntersectiam with NES
Road 5700, the cantinenyg northeast along Rowd 5700 through Observation Peak Truilhead to NTS Read
G40. then woot atone NES Road 6400 to the interaction ot NFS Road 6463. then west along NFS Read
640 toward Shonsson Pes Traithend and weet along the khuffinat Peak Trail ¥129 t North Fork
Sicwcon Trait €1.46 thes marth fo the Forex Boundary then Rllewing the :oangucus forest houndary te.
enét amd south to the north edge of NFS Rod 54 amd point of origi.

Lomesromeds soul Develomed Recreate Sutsr:

AU) compysenendin, sao parks, ienlineads, anil other evelaped receention sites within the closet are are

Gifford Pinchot National Forest
USDA Forest Service
| Mount St. Helens National Volcanic Monument
Siouxon Fire Area Closure
Forest Order No, 06-03-01 22-06
EXHIBIT A

POLL LOL ELLIE TE I I

gi Fores!

7 ot Land

Matic

1. Going into or being upon an area closed for the protection of public health or safety. | so

Due to fire activity in
Observation Peak Trailhea

due to road closures. We afl
inconvenience.

Read Closure Dexeription

Travel

of ibe close
Trai) Closure Description
Pravel is prohibited 1NFS Tra

Exemptions
Pursuant Wo 36 CFR

Viv ao
$30.09

Exhibit

That's cool. If the texts are rather short, it should be no problem to fix a few misspellings. I wonder, how the software would handle fancy fonts, like those in 'handwriting' style. I will test it, thanks.

e\ it works! Needs a bit improvement with Umlaute (diacritics), but surely useful. :+1:

1 Like

microsoft office has hand writing OCR. if you drop the images into Word or Onenote you may be able to copy the txt out of them thru the context menu.

1 Like