Incomplete Restore?

Hi all,

I have a backup-and-restore question.

I use DOpus on two computers and constantly fiddle with the settings, so I need to keep them in sync. Almost on a daily basis I backup everything on one machine and then import it on the other, completely replacing the configuration.
(In an additional step, I then restore the correct folder aliases on the target machine.)
Works like a charm! :smiley:

However, there are a few small things that are not restored correctly although they are correctly set on both the source and target machines before I start.
So far I found:

• Although the splash screen is disabled, it keeps coming up when DOpus restarts after the restore.
  • My choices in the Create Folder dialog (create multiple folders...) are reset.
  • My setup of the Synchronize panel is lost (sync sub-folders, hide unaffected...).
  • The size of the Advanced Rename dialog is lost.

Is there a way of avoiding this?

Thanks a lot,
MartO

If you do a full config-replace then it probably resets the machine-specific settings (i.e the ones that are part of your local profile rather than your roaming profile).

If you want to have more control over what is and isn't copied/modified, you can copy select config files manually instead of using the Backup & Restore wizard. See HOW TO: Back-up or locate your Opus configuration (Advanced) for more information.

I'd have thought all that stuff should be coming through though - with the likely candidates being:

• splash screen... should be a core prefs setting. Not sure why that wouldn't be coming through, though even these other should be...
  • /dopuslocaldata\State Data\createfolder.osd
  • /dopuslocaldata\State Data\sync.osd
  • /dopuslocaldata\State Data\windowstate.osd

As long as the "backed up" version of those files have the various flags and what not set, I'd have thought a "Full Replace" specifically would carry them on over to the other pc. Any caveats with private vs shared config - if they're even different between the two pc's...?

Stuff in /dopuslocaldata is considered incidental to the machine, not part of the core config (or roaming profile) that you'd want to follow you between machines.

(e.g. Windowstate.osd might not make sense if the two machines have different sized screen(s), although either way it only takes a moment to resize a window if it's too small. MRU lists are likely to be specific to folders on a particular machine, etc.)

Thanks for your answers!

After reading the How-To (again) I realized I don't really need to do a full config-replace. I changed the command from

RESTORE=replace

to

RESTORE=data,sounds,images

and now at least my local settings on the target machine don't get reset to their defaults.
Bye-bye, splash screen! :smiley: