Initial Opus startup is very slow

I'm running Opus 9 64 bit on a Win 7 64 bit system, with an SSD C drive, and several other HDD drives. Ths system is quite fast and responsive.

I keep an Opus icon in the task bar, and usually load it from there. when I want to use it

Lately, Opus 9 seems to take a long time to load the first time - as long a 20-30 seconds. It didn't used to be this way, in the recent past. Once it has loaded, and then is closed, it does reload within a small fraction of a second, via a single click of the taskbar icon. And all operations of Opus seem normal.

I checked my startup program listing, and "dopusrt.exe/dblclick" is in there and is enabled.

Any ideas why the initial loading is so slow?

Ron Hirsch

Try the suggestions in this thread:

Failing that, here's a list of ideas worth trying when there's not much else to go on:

Hi Leo,

Thanks for the reply. I've looked over the references you presented.

The "change" in Opus's startup could possibly be related to the fact that it now uses many of the QVP 11 viewer capabilities, and that's about the time that this all started. The slow startup is not a real problem, and I can just click on its icon when the system has booted up, and then mnimze or close it it when it loads. That way it'll re ready when I want to use it, as it reloads in about 1/3 of a second.

Right now, the command line for the Opus icon is ""C:\Program Files\GPSoftware\Directory Opus\dopus.exe" /autolister". Is there anything I can add to that string to have Opus open minimized. It would also be nice if I could add a command into the STARTUP listing, minimized so that I wouldn't have to do anything, as it would all be done in the background. Maybe there is something in the program's settings to do that - yes??

Ron

Use the ShellExView tool (linked from the FAQ in my post above) to see if QVP installs any shell extensions. If it doesn't it's unlikely to affect startup time as its preview handler would only be loaded when you view a file. (If it does install a shell extension it is worth checking out, though.)

Are you sure you're not confusing how long Opus takes to start with how long it takes to open a new window when it's already running in the background? Unless you've changed your configuration to make it auto-exit, Opus stays running even when all windows are closed, once launched for the first time.

Yes, go to the Launching Opus - Startup section of Preferences and set Opus to start but not open any windows.

Here at least QVP does nothing to alter the speed of Opus.

You could try using Process Monitor to see what's happening during the startup.

Also, why not just run Opus on system startup? You can have it run without opening any windows - and then it is available immediately when you need it.

Thanks to all of you for the info offered. For some stange reason, the last new computer session brough up Opus back at its old quick load. And as I mentioned, once it has been loaded initially, and then shut down, the next time I click on the Opus taskbar icon - less than 1/3 second to display.

And thanks Leo for the path to load it at startup, with no lister opened. I looked for that option, but I guess I just missed it, even though I did remember seeing it in the past.

Ron