I have a set of files named file (1).jpg, file (2).jpg ... file (16).jpg
I delete some of them, and I'm left with these files:
file (2)
file (3)
file (5)
file (10)
file (13)
file (16)

I want to rename the remaining ones to be in the same order, but without having gaps in the numbering.
Sometimes I would also change the whole filename, but want to keep the order too.

This is what I wanted to happen by using inline rename, selecting all and renaming file (2):
file (2) -> file (1) OR newname (1)
file (3) -> file (2) OR newname (2)
file (5) -> file (3) OR newname (3)
file (10) -> file (4) OR newname (4)
file (13) -> file (5) OR newname (5)
file (16) -> file (6) OR newname (6)

Instead when I keep the filename this happens:
file (2) -> file (1)
file (3) -> file (3)
file (5) -> file (5)
file (10) -> file (2)
file (13) -> file (4)
file (16) -> file (6)

And when I change the name this:
file (2) -> newname (1)
file (3) -> newname (5)
file (5) -> newname (6)
file (10) -> newname (2)
file (13) -> newname (3)
file (16) -> newname (4)

Is there any way to get the expected results with inline rename?
Or if not, how can I make a rename preset for these?

Seems to work here

2022-12-29 - 07.51.22

Yes it would work, if the content of the files didn't matter. In my case, I want them to stay in the original order, but renaming them this way changes that.

That's happening because you're using (x) (where x is a number) at the end of the name, which is the same pattern used to number other files when two requested names conflict.

If you omit the number and brackets at the end (e.g. just use new as the new name), the order will be preserved.

Using the Rename dialog instead of inline rename will give more options, as well, and will always preserve the original order (where possible). Renaming multiple files via inline rename lets you do it quickly but not with as much control as when using the Rename dialog.

Figured that it's something like that causing it. It's just that in the Windows File Explorer I used to number files like this and it worked the way I wanted.

If I rename them without numbers, the first file will just be "new" instead of "new (1)", which isn't what I wanted since I want all of them numbered.
And it still puts 10, 13, 16 before 3 and 5, because it seems like it sorts the numbers alphabetically while renaming.

I recently switched to Opus from Windows Explorer, and I'm still trying to figure out how to use the Rename dialog quickly, but I'll be using that from now in.

Maybe in a future update there could be an option for inline rename to change how it handles numbering of conflicting filenames.

Thanks anyway

Multi-file rename via Inline Rename is just there to be a quick method to give everything the same base name.

I'd recommend using the Rename dialog instead, as you can do a lot more with it than Explorer can do.

Turn on sequential numbering, and the numbers will be added to the end by default. You can then optionally place [#] in the new name to place the numbers somewhere else, as well as change the starting number or step. Prefix the starting number with 0 if you want to pad it to more than 1 digit.

The preview column shows what the results will be, so you can tell if it looks right before anything is actually renamed.

2 Likes