Install of DOpus

When you install DOpus on a new PC can you tell the InstallShield to ask at first (or after choosing the install path): "Would you like to import settings and tweaks from a previous install?" So everyone who has an. ocb-File can choose it to import it again. It's much easier than answering all the questions during the install process.

We might add that in the future.

But if you're planning to import a config backup, you can just click Next to all the questions and then import the backup afterwards (via the Settings menu), since it then won't matter what answers you gave to the questions.

Right, or you can copy the three backuped GPSoftware Folders to appdata, localappdata and globalappdata and you have either everything you need to start the DOpus experience again. :grinning:

Is it possible to add the file "userdata.omd" to the backup files? If not, DOpus will start after restoring with the old "userdata.omd" where the language is set to English, and not:

opus_meta_data language="Deutsch"

Or will it cause other issues?

What are you doing where that would matter? If you install Opus on a new machine, you choose the language during the installer, and it'd already be set up when you later restored a backup. If you update Opus on a machine that already has it installed, the existing language choice is left alone and shouldn't need to change when you restore the backup.

If your aim is to change back and forth between languages using config backups, you can change languages via Preferences, which should be easier and avoids having to keep two separate configs in sync.

(Including userdata.omd in backups would also mess up the update checker. It needs to be left as-is in general.)

Yes, it's not so important.
I only wanted to avoid the step of changing language in "Preferences\Display\Language\Change Language".

You should only have to do that once, during first installation, unless you need to change it again later.

Two questions about the setting folders. Why can't you put the content of the localappdata folder together with the appdata folder. It is (only) one important folder called "State Data".

And for future versions:

Will it one day be possible to move the Settings Folder to another drive? It could be done by putting an INI File with the Settings Folder Path into the Program Folder to tell DOpus where it can find the settings.

Because it contains things that are likely to only make sense on the current machine (and so should not go into the roaming profile area) and which are not important enough to back-up or sync.

Why does it bother you where those files are? They are not that important.

You can do that already using junctions or softlinks, but we don't recommend it. Opus uses the standard, Microsoft-defined locations for configuration data and we aren't aware of any good reasons to want to change them.

(People usually ask because they want to use automated backup tools, but any good backup tool can be given a list of folders to backup, and you'd normally backup the whole roaming profile folder anyway, since other programs' settings are also there.)

I asked for it because I compare(d) different file managers and none of them uses the localappdata folder any more. And it's easier for me to keep an eye of only one folder. And many programs (not only file managers) have their License File stored in the program folder. DOpus has it's files (dopus.cert and globaldata.omd) stored into the globalappdata folder. It's only for the sake of simplicity. :smile_cat:

There's rarely any reason to even look at the config folder. You're making things more complicated for yourself. Just ignore it and get on with life, and leave worrying about implementation details to us.

1 Like

Ha ha, maybe you are right but I want to know about a program I like very much, as much as possible. And I don't want to ask you so many times like a dullard but to bring DOpus under control for myself. DOpus is a sophisticated program and you have to spend a lot of time with it. And it's of course fun. :man_student: