Is DOpus right for me?:: history of last N raw commands

background:
If you're in a hurry, just read the questions section and the clarification section and skip the rest.

Apparently DOpus saves the command history of raw commands
when you invoke:

> CLI

and enter commands there. Unfortunately, apparently from the
documentation, it was not intended for the user to use the CLI
very much. The CLI is nice because it allows you to type in
detailed commands and re-call them whenever necessary. Just
use the arrow up/down keys as you might intuitively expect.

questions:
Is it possible to recall the raw command history outside the
context of the CLI window?

If "no" to the previous, is it possible to "dock" the CLI window
within DOpus so that it is not an independent "free-floating"
window?

If "no" to the previous, is it possible to turn on a flag in DOpus
so that all "raw commands" are saved to a history that can be recalled
when you enter any raw command using the ">" prompt?

rationale:
Some users like to have handy "toolbar buttons" for everything, and
this works fine, but some users may be more accustomed to entering
in certain commands as raw text. Yes, this probably sounds too "old
school" for the 100% "everything should be in the GUI" crowd, but
it's nice to have the option to use GUI for some things, and
command-line for others.

Admittedly, the DOpus model of inputting commands via the GUI is
very flexible. You can specify input options using drop-down lists
and input boxes and all sorts of fancy easily customizable stuff.
Nevertheless, there's something to be said for having the ability to
type in raw commands and specify the arguments directly, and there's
even more to be said for having this ability while also being able
to recall the last-used raw commands from a queue.

clarification:
This question is about the DOpus command
line interface exclusively for DOpus raw
commands. This is not a question about
the MSDOS command prompt in windows.

Thanks,

Opus can keep a log of some operations (which files were copied where, and so on), but there isn't a log of the raw commands behind them.

If you have the Find Field enabled, under Preferences - Lister - File Display, then you can type > into the lister to open a docked command line. (Tip: Pressing Ctrl-Enter will insert the selected filename into the command.) There's no command history or recall but that seems like a good idea to me.

(You can also use the CLI QUICKCMD command to open the docked command-line field, in which case you don't have to type the > and it doesn't matter whether or not the Find Field is enabled in Preferences.)

From your post it seems that you ARE already aware you can recall the cli commands in the cli field drop-down... and you just want another way of viewing that history, which like nyudel said... no there is not.

About 'docking' the CLI field, you can also drag the 'Command Field' from the Customize->Commands tab to an existing 'docked' toolbar to give you a fixed CLI field to type into...

My own thoughts... I think it might be a worthy feature request to GPsoft to have an executed raw command history saved to it's own tab on the 'Ouput' window. I know you don't like discussing your ideas (wink wink - sorry for the quick sarcasm)... but FWIW, I think it might be nice to have a configureable option for such a command history that might cause Opus to log either or both:

a) raw commands that are executed by the user through manual means (like the CLI field)
b) raw commands that are executed by a toolbar button...

This second option might provide another way for users to gain an understanding of how Opus buttons/functions work by showing them some details about what something that already provides a predictable and working 'result' is doing in the background...

Oh yeah, I forgot all about that. Even better, it has a drop-down history of the commands you have typed in the past. (In fact it still remembers the ones I must've typed into it months ago, now that I've toggled it back on. :slight_smile:)

And now that we're actually "discussing" it (sorry, I just CANNOT resist)... there should probably be an easy way to write a quick little javascript applet or something that will let you display the the /dopuslocaldata\State Data\MRU\cli.osd file contents where the history is stored so that you can pick an old item, and then maybe modify it and re-execute it or something nifty...?

You can do that with the drop-down. If you select a past entry its put in the edit control but isn't executed yet, so you can modify it.

The up/down arrow keys also seem to recall past commands.

Or do you mean a way to do the same thing from somewhere else?

That (or something similar) was exactly what I was looking for!

I notice that putting the a DOpus CLI in a toolbar like this also makes it a part of the tab order, so you can reach it using the keyboard only. Great!

Is there a way to set it up so that you can hotkey directly into the CLI that's there in the toolbar? I don't mind tabbing into it, just wanting to know if that extra option is available.

Thanks,

@steje

[quote]This second option might provide another way for users to (understand what DOpus) is doing in the background...
[/quote]

Yeah! Exactly! Too bad I don't like discussing my ideas, or else I might have already made this point over a week ago ... :wink:

Oh, wait, I did:

"is Dopus right for me? :: RAW cmd equivalents ..."

[Is Dopus right for me? :: RAW cmd equivalents)

:smiley:

I'm getting very bored of these smart-alec replies - people aren't saying you won't discuss any ideas - just one in particular...

Yes, in Customize mode, just edit the field and assign the desired hotkey.

:slight_smile:

I think I might have also mentioned something along these lines 'awhile' ago in another thread, but don't think anyone ever spoke up any interest about it...

There are only saved 9 commands. Is it possible to increase their number?

The toolbar command fields are pretty much obsolete now, in the 7 years since this thread.

You can run ad-hoc commands by just typing > into the file display to open a command field (the Find As You Type field, in command mode). That remembers the last 50 commands automatically.

I just use this menu )

Please, tell me how I can call a list of these commands?

Type > into the file display, then push the up arrow key.

Please link your account if you need more detailed help.

Thank you.