Is it possible to get size of selected folder

What i want is whenever i select a folder i want to have its size.I know it can be done with toolbar button as described in this topic
[Calculate Folder Sizes Automatically)

No matter i select the folder with mouse or space bar it should get its size,is it possible.

Folder size calculation can be:

1. Automatic for all folders

2. Triggered by toolbar/hotkey for either all or just the selected folders.

3. Triggered by tooltip for the folder under the mouse or with the keyboard focus (hold Ctrl to trigger the tooltip if you're using the keyboard).

There's no way to make Opus automatically calculate the sizes of folders the moment you select them but it's only a button, hotkey or tooltip away.

On my home version of DOpus I can hover my mouse over a folder and the folder size is calculated and displayed but on my USB version in work this feature is disabled. How do I switch this feature on...?

I can't find anything in help by the way.

Ensure that {foldersize} is included in the Info Tip of the All Folders file type (Settings -> File Type).

Sorry, I worded this all wrong. What I was supposed to say is when I hover the mouse pointer over a folder, the folder size is calculated and displayed in the size column.

thx for the reply,i am pretty aware of other options to get the file size

Sorry, I worded this all wrong. What I was supposed to say is when I hover the mouse pointer over a folder, the folder size is calculated and displayed in the size column.[/quote]

If the size is calculated for the info tip then it'll appear in the size column as well.

Sorry, I worded this all wrong. What I was supposed to say is when I hover the mouse pointer over a folder, the folder size is calculated and displayed in the size column.[/quote]

If the size is calculated for the info tip then it'll appear in the size column as well.[/quote]

This does not work in my case... I hover the mouse over a folder and I don't get the infotip or the size in the size column... holding the CTRL key down shows the infotip and populates the size column.

{foldersize} is definitely included in the infotip for "all folders".

The infotip doesn't work for files or folders!

Not that it should make any difference but I'm running DOpus from a memory stick.

Any thoughts...?

I don't know why infotips would appear for Ctrl but not for the mouse. If they weren't enabled then Ctrl wouldn't work either.

You've hovering over the name of the folder, not the size, right?

[quote="leo"]I don't know why infotips would appear for Ctrl but not for the mouse. If they weren't enabled then Ctrl wouldn't work either.

You've hovering over the name of the folder, not the size, right?[/quote]

Yes, most definitely over the name... I use this feature at home and it works fine.... I'd be lost without it to be honest. I updated to 9.1.1.3.3190 last night just in case that had anything to do with it but no change.

[quote="blueroly"][quote="leo"]I don't know why infotips would appear for Ctrl but not for the mouse. If they weren't enabled then Ctrl wouldn't work either.

You've hovering over the name of the folder, not the size, right?[/quote]

Yes, most definitely over the name... I use this feature at home and it works fine.... I'd be lost without it to be honest. I updated to 9.1.1.3.3190 last night just in case that had anything to do with it but no change.[/quote]

Ah, just noticed that it works fine on my local drives and any removable drives but not on network drives... I can't say for certain that it worked ok for network drives in the past though.

What is the Enable file InfoTips in... drop-down set to in Preferences - Listers - File Display?

That's it... it was set to local only ... I searched for "tip" in preferences but it came back with no results so I presumed there were no options for infotips... perhaps I should have searched for "info" instead which did bring back some results.

Thanks again Leo.

Ctrl shouldn't have worked there either then.

Oh well, glad it's working now.

[quote="leo"]Ctrl shouldn't have worked there either then.

Oh well, glad it's working now.[/quote]

I've double checked and CTRL does work when network drives are switched off... strange but not a problem. In fact, it's quite a handy "feature" :slight_smile:

Good to know. i was searching for this setting since my old file manager (Q-Dir) always returned the total size of the selected items (mixed files+folders) and displayed the correct sum in the status bar, even though "automatic size calculation" was turned off.

@iam1simpleguy
With Dopus, the folder sizes must be calculated in advance, otherwise the status bar would show wrong "bytes selected". One comfortable way is: make sure nothing is selected in the lister, then middle-mouse-click on the "Create New Folder"-button. Now you can select your mixed items (folders&files) and the status bar reports the correct total size. "bytes selected" is now a correct number to be trusted.

Like iam1simpleguy, i am missing the automatic total folder size calculation when selecting folders and i would assume that it is possible to implement it (as a setting in Preferences) in future Dopus10 revisions. Crossing fingers! :wink:

FYI... I think the 'Create New Folder' button middle-click thing was an Opus v9 thing... I don't know if v10 has that, as the new 'New Folder' is now a Menu Button. In v10, it's on the Edit menu and is bound to the <Ctrl+L> hotkey...

In any event, however you get to it - the command is 'GetSizes'...

FYI @plunder: if you hit that BEFORE you select your files/folders, then Opus will calculate the sizes of ALL folder in your current file display. Alternatively, you can select the files/folders first, THEN hit the 'GetSizes' button - and Opus will only calculate the size of the 'selected' folders...