Is it possible to have unicode characters in Script columns?

I want to be able to store Unicode characters in some script column that I use but the character never gets printed or rendered correctly in Opus.

For example I can include the following character in a file name and Opus will display it just fine:
āŒ U+274C (alt-010060) CROSS MARK

But if I attempt to use the same Unicode character in a script column, Opus just prints "aCE", as shown above in the Flags column, which is a column that belongs to this script, Add multiple filters and tags to files using ADS.

Is this down to Opus or a limitation of the the script I am using?
Can other columns, besides the name column, render Unicode characters?

Thanks for any help.

Try decoding the value before handing it over to the column:

scriptColData.value = DOpus.Create().StringTools().Decode(value, 'utf8');

https://www.gpsoft.com.au/help/opus12/index.html#!Documents/Scripting/StringTools.htm

1 Like

Hey lxp, unfortunately I don't know any Jscript.
Hey I tried to make the change you suggested but there are many places, where this scriptColData.value var is mentioned. I am not sure which line to change.
Can you by any chance look at the scripts code? you can find it HERE.

You need to insert this into all lines (480..650), but I am afraid this is not going to be sufficient because the real troublemaker is very likely the FileSystemObject that is used throughout the script and doesn't handle Unicode well. JScript arrays might contribute to the problem.

So the script would need to be changed to use Opus' own methods for files and vectors. That's what I used to ensure the Exiftool custom columns handle special characters properly.

1 Like

I see.

I will try to reach out to the developer of the script to see if he is going to consider my request, if not I will shelf this as one more cool idea I have for Opus scripting.

Your explanation here and your script, Exiftool Custom Columns, I am sure will come very handy in the future.

Cheers!