Is There A Way To Remove the Vertical Scrollbar From Lister Panes?

I looked at the Help file for v11.12.3 and could not find any info, and did a search here, without any joy. I'd like to disable the vertical scrollbars from my lister panes/windows. I either use the trackball wheel, or just type the first could of letters to quickly jump to where I need to be in a directory with a long list of folders/files.

I'd like to be able to use the extra real estate by getting rid of the scrollbar, if possible.

TIA!

Made a typo mistake: should have been "type the first couple of letters" in my post.....

Not possible. The scrollbar is not just for clicking on, it's also a visual indicator of how many items you can and cannot see.

Alright, I suppose that's an important feature, somehow..... So, it sounds like the only way to gain some real estate is to alter the value for all scrollbars in the Windows Registry to something like -120 to make them thin as possible. I'll just have to make due with that, then.

I appreciate the fast reply!!

It's only around 2 characters of space so they seem worth keeping to me, but it's your computer so feel free. :slight_smile:

@oblias
Can you post a screenshot of your setup? I'm curious on what GUI elements you save/waste your pixels on! o)

[quote="tbone"]@oblias
Can you post a screenshot of your setup? I'm curious on what GUI elements you save/waste your pixels on! o)[/quote]

My setup can be seen in this post: [url]Auto De-Select Text When Switching To Another List Window]

I have not changed the layout since that screenshot.

Setting the windows metrics for the scrollbar in the registry to -120 works well enough for me. To be absolutely honest, it's not only a matter of recovering all the real estate I can, but a matter of aesthetics also. I just don't really want a scrollbar there when I don't use it at all. I don't even use it as a visual indicator, so I'd rather it not be there. A matter of personal preference, as was mentioned. :wink:

Well, leo, it's like my browser. I really don't need a scrollbar as a visual cue in order for me to know that I have not gotten to the bottom of the webpage. But I believe what you said 'hit the nail on the head'. I never use the scrollbar in my web browser either, so it's more a personal preference thing with me. If I ran the world, I would probably remove the scrollbar from all apps and utilities. I mean, there had to be a reason in the first place for someone to go to all the trouble of creating a scroll wheel on a mouse, and a scroll ring on the trackball, right??

So, I don't believe I'm the only one who doesn't use the scrollbar of any one particular program, rather than use the scroll wheel. See where I'm coming from??

Anyway, I digress. I asked the question, you gave me the answer, and all is good. Until I get to run the World, anyway... L O L

Also, as a side note, the motive for me to ask the question in the first place, is because if I could get rid of the scrollbar, that would allow me to use a larger font size in my lister windows, without losing much of any one particular file name. As things stand now, the larger the font size I use, the less of a filename I get to see in the display. Wait till you get to be my age.... you'll most likely want a larger size font also.... haha

If you still run the setup you linked to above, I must admit, I don't really get your point.
Actually I don't find it is configured to aim at better readability at all, but ok - you seem to get along with that.

Don't get me wrong, no harm intended! o)

[quote="tbone"]If you still run the setup you linked to above, I must admit, I don't really get your point.
Actually I don't find it is configured to aim at better readability at all, but ok - you seem to get along with that.

Don't get me wrong, no harm intended! o)[/quote]

No offense taken, I assure you! :slight_smile:

And you are not the only one who does not get my point, on many things. So, you are not alone, and I am not unfamiliar with that reaction.. Again, no problem, no worries!!

Take care.

[quote="tbone"]If you still run the setup you linked to above,I don't find it is configured to aim at better readability at all.
[/quote]

(Quote snipped for content)

Actually, I got to thinking that there is always room for improvement, and I like to consider myself to be an open-minded man. Would you post a screenshot of your layout, so that I can see how you have configured Opus for your best readability?

I just had this sentence of you in my mind when answering, assuming you prefer things to be readable as good as possible because you have glasses or something.

Avoiding gradients, transparancy, serif-fonts, background images and in general a mixture of sizes regarding icons and fonts is what yields read- and usability for me.
And I guess this all helps to not raise a need for increased font-sizes yet. I actually get along with NewCourier/Tahoma-8 on a 24" display. I don't have a fixed layout, I switch to what fits best. Anyway, this is what my default lister looks like. It leaves a lot of room as columns, log-panel and toolbars add up to the lister more or less automatically. The viewer pane is opened by default, because I make use of it continuously.

I just had this sentence of you in my mind when answering, assuming you prefer things to be readable as good as possible because you have glasses or something.

Avoiding gradients, transparancy, serif-fonts, background images and in general a mixture of sizes regarding icons and fonts is what yields read- and usability for me.
And I guess this all helps to not raise a need for increased font-sizes yet. I actually get along with NewCourier/Tahoma-8 on a 24" display. I don't have a fixed layout, I switch to what fits best. Anyway, this is what my default lister looks like. It leaves a lot of room as columns, log-panel and toolbars add up to the lister more or less automatically. The viewer pane is opened by default, because I make use of it continuously.
[/quote]

Thanks for the input! I can see where your default layout would not cause any undue distractions. I admit, I have a weakness for trying to 'dress up' Opus a bit, because I use Opus more than I use my Desktop in Win 8.1, so for me, I try to make Opus as visually appealing as I can. However, I did take some of your suggestions to heart, and re-vamped my layout. I only use one layout, and it never changes, except for the toolbar at the top, depending on what program I want to launch. Anyway, I made the lister backgrounds a bit less distracting, and a bit more dark, in for the lister text to stand out more. It works for me, and it was time for a change anyway, as I have been using that same layout design for over 6 years now. Yeah, the font is a bit fancy, but I can read it well and it pleases me... Here is a screener of my new layout visual items:

And so you go for a crazy blue font on brown floor boards? I really don't know what to say.. o)
But how great is that? People are so different, it's good, prevents us from boredom while maintaining diversity. o)

[quote="tbone"]
And so you go for a crazy blue font on brown floor boards?[/quote]

Yes Sir, guilty as charged.... :thumbsup:

I would also request this feature for exactly the same reasons — I never use scrollbar for scrolling in a file browser, I don't need it to tell me I have a long list (it's kind of obvious from just looking at the list), and I find scollbar is not aesthetically pleasing.
The smart solution would be to have these two configuration options:
[ol]
[li] Hide scroll bar unless you start scrolling: in case you have a huge list you might want to start scrolling with a wheel and then grab the scroll bar to continue faster. That's rarely useful (never used it in a file browser, but sometimes use it in a console with long command text output), but still.[/li]
[li] Hide scroll bar completely[/li][/ol]

Unfortunately, the registry solution proposed above isn't ideal as it changes the scroll bar behavior globally and there are instances when I need it (rare ones, but still).
Would you kindly add an configuration option to control scroll bar behavior inside Opus? Thanks!

It is always fascinating, to see how versatile Opus is, even in its looks. :thumbsup: