Is there any way to do filtered searches using Everything?

I have quite a few drives on my computer. In Everything from Voidtools I have filters set up to limit searches to specific sets of drives. Is there any way to do something similar in DOpus? Or any plans to extend Everything integration to include that?

2 Likes

Yes, with everything v1.5 you can directly use the macro configured for your filter. With v1.4, you must use the content of the defined filter.

Thank you @errante. I am using Everything 1.5. Can you tell me how to use the Everything macro? An example of an Everything filter I'm using is:

!N: !G: !"\Desktop-b2m5dgi" !C:\Windows !"C\Program Files" !"C:\Users\tomgo\AppData" !"C:\ProgramData"

This tells Everything to ignore the specified drives when doing a search. How could I use that in DOPus?

The simplest way:
Import this filter (csv file in the zip) into Everything (Search > Organize Filters > Import). You can modify "myfilter" to any macro you like.
Filters.zip (377 Bytes)

Then in Directory Opus and Everything, you can refer to the filter using the macro.
For example: myfilter: ext:exe (the space after myfilter: seems important).

You can use that macro in any place where writing queries for Everything from DO is allowed.

Thanks so much! That explained it perfectly. Looking at the csv file I saw that I could just go into Everything and add the Macro name to the filter, then use myfilter: searchcriteria in the Search bar in DOpus.

Also, in my testing it doesn't seem to matter whether there's a space after myfilter: It produces the same results with or without the space. Perhaps this was tweaked in a recent DOpus update?

We just pass the query string to Everything, I think. Any changes to what happens are most likely changes on its side.

1 Like

Glad it works!. At least in my test, in both Everything and DOpus, without that space, I don't get any results

Interesting ... it works either way for me. I'm running Everything Version 1.5.0.1367a (x64).